Each workday over a three-week period, Charlotte49ers.com will profile a different Conference USA school as a way to introduce our new league opponents starting in 2013-14.
Location: Birmingham, Ala.
Colors: Forest Green and Old Gold
President: Dr. Ray L. Watts
Athletics Director: Brian Mackin
Athletics Website: uabsports.com
Facebook: UAB Blazers
Conference History: UAB has been a member of Conference USA since 1995. Charlotte and UAB were conference members together in the Sun Belt Conference and joined back together as charter members of Conference USA in 1995.
Proper References: UAB
Athletic Highlights: In 2004, the men’s basketball team upset #1 Kentucky in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. It has made 14 NCAA Tournament appearances including one Elite Eight and three Sweet Sixteens. In 2011, men’s golf was ranked #8 in the country. The 49ers and UAB have met in the NCAA Men’s Soccer tournament in each of the last two years. Last year, the Blazers softball team had an RPI of 29, the highest among current Conference USA members.
Noteworthy Accomplishments: UAB is the state of Alabama’s number one employer with over 60,000 jobs between the university and medical center. The University of Alabama at Birmingham is nationally ranked among Top-20 in total federal research funding and key areas of health sciences receiving more than $433 million dollars in fundings. As of 2009, UAB is 4th in the Southeast for NIH research funding behind only Duke, North Carolina and Vanderbilt. The UAB Health System, one of the largest academic medical centers in the United States, is affiliated with the university. UAB Hospital sponsors residency programs in various medical specialties, including internal medicine, neurology, surgery, radiology, and anesthesiology. UAB Hospital is the only ACS verified Level I trauma center in Alabama.
- DR. REGINA M. BENJAMIN - First African-American woman and the first person younger than 40, to be elected to the American Medical Association Board of Trustees
- LARRY J. DeLUCAS - Director of UAB's Center for Biophysical Sciences and Engineering. Was a payload specialist on a 1992 voyage of the space shuttle Columbia
- VONETTA FLOWERS - First African-American to win a gold medal in a winter Olympics (bobsled)
- ALLEN FRANKLIN - CEO of Georgia Power
- GRAEME McDOWELL - Professional golfer, 2010 U.S. Open winner
- SANDRA L. MELNICK - Chief of the analytic epidemiology research branch of the National Cancer Institute
- CHARLES A. NOONEY - Instrumental in the launching of the Toon Disney television network
- MICHAEL E. STEPHENS - Executive director of the internationally renowned Lakeshore Rehabilitation Hospital in
- RODDY WHITE - NFL Pro Bowler and first round draft pick in 2005 for Atlanta Falcons
MEN (6) - Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Soccer, Tennis
WOMEN (11) - Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Golf, Rifle, Soccer, Sand Volleyball, Softball, Tennis, Indoor & Outdoor Track & Field, Volleyball
Welcome to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation!
If you wish to make a contribution to the Annual Giving Campaign or Let Me Play (fundraiser for women's athletics), you can do so online or by calling the Athletic Foundation at (704) 687-1047/4950.
Football Parking - please note the following areas are sold out: Green CRI 1, Green CRI 1A, Green CRI 3, Green CRI 3A, Orange CRI Deck Rooftop and Yellow Union Deck Rooftop.
This system will give you full access to your own personal account and display donations and pledges to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation.
Please Note: If you have ever contributed to the Athletic Foundation, you have an existing account and should login using that information. Please do not create a second account. If you are unsure of your account status or need your login information, please contact the Athletic Foundation at (704) 687-4950/1047.
If your gift will be accompanied by a matching gift from your employer please do not make your gift online. Contact the Athletic Foundation at (704)687-1047 for information of contributions with a matching gift.
If you are a new member and have not participated in any of the ways mentioned above, please create a new account below and make a pledge to our current campaign.