MASON, Ohio – The Charlotte men’s tennis team saw its 2012-13 season come to a close Saturday afternoon with a 4-0 loss in the Atlantic 10 Tournament semifinals to George Washington in Mason, Ohio. The 49ers, seeded third, fell to the Colonials, seeded second, in the semis for the second-straight year.
"I'm proud of the guys for their effort today," head coach Billy Boykin said. "When Paul (Cisti) injured his knee and was forced to retire from the match, we didn't let it deflate us. Instead, we buckled down and gave a good fight but were edged out in the end.
"I give George Washington a lot of credit, we made a strong push at the end of the singles but they held on and wouldn't let go."
Charlotte (14-10) was leading at the No. 1 doubles spot with Jordi Massalle Ferrer and Jack Williams building a 6-3 advantage over Ulrik Thomsen and Alexander van Gils. Unfortunately for the 49ers, the match was left unfinished as the Colonials clinched the doubles point with wins at the other two positions to secure the point.
George Washington (17-6) then sealed the overall team victory with three straight-set triumphs in singles action. However, Charlotte put up a strong performance in an attempt at the comeback.
Kamil Khalil led in the third set against Danil Zelenkov 3-6, 6-3, 4-2 when the match was called at the No. 3 slot, while Alex Calott owned a 7-6 (4), 1-2 set edge in the No. 4 position against van Gils when pulled from the courts.
Nate Shanok and Viktor Svensson split the two sets they completed at No. 6 with the Niners’ player taking the second set to position himself for a rally.
The 49ers completed the campaign with a 14-10 mark, the second most wins under head coach Billy Boykin.
#2 George Washington 4, #3 Charlotte 0
1. Nikita Fomin (GW) d. Jack Williams (CHA) 6-4, 6-1
2. Francisco Dias (GW) d. Jordi Massalle Ferrer (CHA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Danil Zelenkov (GW) vs. Kamil Khalil (CHA) 6-3, 3-6, 2-4 DNF
4. Alexander van Gils (GW) vs. Alex Calott (CHA) 6-7 (7-4), 2-1 DNF
5. Ulrik Thomsen (GW) d. Krzysztof Kwasniewicz (CHA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Viktor Svensson (GW) vs. Nate Shanok (CHA) 6-2, 3-6 DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6
1. van Gils/Thomsen (GW) vs. Williams/ Massalle Ferrer (CHA) 3-6
2. Zelenkov/Fomin (GW) d. Calott/Cisit (CHA) 7-3 Ret.
3. Leonardo Lapentti/Dias (GW) d. Khalil/Kwasniewicz (CHA) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2
Welcome to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation!
Green CRI 1, Green CRI 1A and Green CRI 2A are sold out. Two spaces remain in Orange CRI Rooftop