CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Charlotte 49ers battled to a scoreless opening 45 minutes but an early second-half strike by the visiting Wildcats provided the only mark on the board, as Davidson claimed a 1-0 win at Transamerica Field Thursday night in the battle of cross-county rivals.

"It's always a close game between us," head coach John Cullen said. "You can tell the way the game was going in the early stages that the first goal was going to be crucial. I thought Davidson had a spell where it was on top, and we had a spell where we were on top. We've looked very good in practice and trained very well. We were prepared and excited about the game but there was some nervous energy from this young team tonight. We have to stop falling a goal down and coming back to win games. It puts a lot of stress on the team to keep having to chase the game."

The Wildcats broke through at 52:52 when Rachael Newmister sent a cross from the left-side of the box to the top arc, locating Becca Fisher. Fisher then redirected the pass with her head over Charlotte (4-3-1) goalkeeper Alex Kubrick to break the drought for both teams.

The 49ers had chances throughout to find the equalizer, including a flurry of three-straight shots which lead to a corner kick; however, none of the opportunities proved fruitful as the Davidson (2-3-2) defense and netminder Rachel Locke preserved the shutout.

Charlotte looked the capitalize on one late chance, as Sarah Ann Waugh sent a corner kick with just under a minute left towards the cage. No 49er was able to run onto the swing pass and the Wildcats cleared the ball to midfield, killing the remainder of the clock.

Amanda Jones paced Charlotte with four shots, while Fisher topped Davidson with a trio of attempts. Kubrick collected six saves in net with Locke earning the shutout by stopping five 49er shots.

Charlotte returns to action in its final road non-conference match of the campaign at 1 p.m. Sunday, as it travels to Harrisonburg, Va., to square off against James Madison.