The success of Charlotte student-athletes is a top priority of the athletic department, both in the classroom and on the playing field. This page is a resource for Charlotte student-athletes to be informed of the rules and regulations that they must abide by in order to stay academically and athletically eligible throughout their college career. The Charlotte Compliance Department is here to assist all student-athletes; we encourage you to ask before you act.
How do I maintain academic eligibility?
- You must be enrolled full-time, 12 credit hours each full-time term. Note if you are enrolled in less than a full-time program, you are eligible to practice and compete only if you are enrolled in the last term of your degree program and are carrying credits necessary to finish your degree.
- You must pass at least 6 hours each semester to remain eligible.
- You must complete 18 credit hours per academic year (Fall, Winter and Spring semesters).
- You must declare major by your 5th semester or junior year.
- You are allowed 4 seasons of eligibility within 5 calendar years from the time you first enrolled full-time in a collegiate institution.
24 Credit hours
GPA: 90% (1.8)
% Degree: 40%
GPA: 95% (1.9)
% Degree: 60%
GPA: 100% (2.0)
% Degree: 80%
GPA: 100% (2.0)
If you are an incoming freshman refer to the NCAA Eligibility Center Quick Reference Sheet. This will cover eligibility requirements in greater detail.
When am I required to practice?
- Your coach may require you to practice a maximum of 20 hours per week, limited to 4 hours a day.
- You are given one day a week off from practice.
- No practice is permitted between midnight and 5:00 am nor after a competition has ended.
- Your coach may require you to practice a maximum of 8 hours per week of strength & conditioning, 2 of the 8 hours may be individual skill instruction.
- You are given two days off a week;
- No required practice beginning one week prior to final exam period through the end of your exams.
- No required countable athletically related activities during the summer.
How do I maintain my amateur status?
In order to maintain your amateur status and remain eligible for intercollegiate competition, you may not do any of the following:
- Receive any type of pay for play, either directly or indirectly.
- Allow any award or cash prize be given in your name to another individual or agency.
- Agreed (orally or in writing) to compete in professional athletics in that sport.
- Participate on a professional team
- Promote a commercial product or service
- Accept a cash prize for place finish
- Participate on a team other than Charlotte during the academic year.
Note: Outside of the declared playing season and during official vacation periods, you may participate on an outside amateur team. In addition you are allowed to participate on National Teams, Olympic Games, Official Pan-Am Games, Official World Championships, World University Games and World Cup Tryouts and Competition.
Am I allowed to Gamble?
- You may NOT solicit a bet on ANY intercollegiate team or on ANY professional team. Examples include parlay cards, NCAA pool, fantasy leagues with entry fee.
- You may NOT accept any wager (i.e., cash, shirt, dinner) on any team representing Charlotte.
- You may NOT knowingly provide information (i.e. injury reports) to individuals involved in organized gambling activities concerning intercollegiate athletics competition.
- Consequences of gambling include loss of one year and one season of eligibility and in some cases permanent ineligibility.
May I accept benefits from agents?
- You are NOT eligible in a sport if you or anyone associated with you (i.e. parents, other relatives, and friends) have ever accepted money, transportation or other benefits (i.e. dinner, gear) from an agent.
- You may NOT sign a contract or agree verbally to have an agent market your athletics ability or reputation in a sport.
- You may NOT sign a contract with an agent or agree verbally to future representation until after your eligibility has expired.
May I accept any extra benefits?
You are allowed to accept the following benefits:
- Benefits generally available to all students
- Occasional meals (approved by Charlotte Athletics Department)
- Athletic apparel issued by Charlotte Athletics Department
- Complimentary Admissions. Note: you may not sell or exchange your complimentary admissions for money or any item of value to anyone, including teammates or other student-athletes.
You are not allowed to accept the following benefits:
- Discounts and credits
- Free or reduced cost services
- Telephones and credit cards
- Entertainment services
- Loans of money or assistance in payment of bills
- Car or use of a car and other forms of transportation (i.e. airline tickets)
- Other gifts (such as clothing, shoes, merchandise, meals)
- Members of the athletic department staff (including tutors) may not type reports, papers, letters, etc.
May I be employed?
What promotional activities can I participate in?
- You are allowed to be employed and receive pay at the going rate, for work actually performed, within the community.
- You may receive compensation for teaching or coaching sport skills or techniques on a fee-for-lesson basis but may not use Charlotte facilities and may not use your name, picture or appearance to promote the lessons.
- Student-athletes may not run their own camp or clinic.
You may participate in charitable or educational activities approved by athletics.
You may not allow your name, picture or personal appearance to be used to advertise or promote any commercial products, services, jobs or employers. May I help with recruiting?
You may receive telephone calls from prospects and you may write or email the prospects at your own free will. However you may not communicate with the prospect at the direction of the coach or expense of the institution.What type of financial aid is acceptable?
Student athletes may receive aid from Charlotte, Governmental agencies, Parents, legal guardians; and Community scholarships etc. Athletic Scholarships are one-year awards, renewable on an annual basis.
Any financial aid that you receive from a source other than Charlotte must be reported to the University and the Athletics Department.
Interpersonal Violence Resource Guide
2014-15 Student-Athlete Handbook
Please be aware of and familiar with the following NCAA items
Check out our student-athlete compliance newsletter, the Gold Mine, for more information regarding NCAA Division I rules and regulations.
Welcome to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation!
Football parking permits for FSL Account Holders are on sale now for the 2018 season. FSL Account Holders can find a football parking map and annual giving requirements at www.charlotte49ers.com/gamedayinfo. To purchase a permit, please contact the Athletic Foundation at (704) 687-4950.
Green CRI 1, Green CRI 1A and Green CRI 2A are sold out. Two spaces remain in Orange CRI Rooftop
If you wish to make a contribution to the Annual Giving Campaign or Let Me Play (fundraiser for women's athletics), you can do so online or by calling the Athletic Foundation at (704) 687-1047/4950.
This system will give you full access to your own personal account and display donations and pledges to the Charlotte 49ers Athletic Foundation.
Please Note: If you have ever contributed to the Athletic Foundation, you have an existing account and should login using that information. Please do not create a second account. If you are unsure of your account status or need your login information, please contact the Athletic Foundation at (704) 687-4950/1047.
If your gift will be accompanied by a matching gift from your employer please do not make your gift online. Contact the Athletic Foundation at (704) 687-1047 for information on contributions with a matching gift.
Please note that changes to the tax law regarding charitable donations
to Athletic Foundations went into effect
January 1, 2018. For information on how this new law impacts FSL Account Holders, please visit: http://www.charlotte49ers.com/GiveNow.
If you are a new member and have not participated in any of the ways mentioned above, please create a new account below and make a pledge to our current campaign.