1. What type of cheer squad do you have?
CBU currently has an all-girl competitive team as well as a mascot position. Depending on interest, we would be willing to entertain the idea of a coed spirit squad to begin the development of a coed competition squad in the future.
2. What is the commitment expected from the cheerleaders? We practice 3-4 times each week. Games vary based on athletic schedules. We travel to a few away games throughout the season. Competitions are on Saturdays or Sundays, and we compete six to 10 times a season. Commitment is taken very seriously, and cheerleaders are expected at all practices, games, events and activities as requested by the coaching staff and the University.
3. What is practice like?
Practices consist of stretching, conditioning, stunting skills, safety technique and training, choreography, routine cleaning, sideline cheers, game stunts, team unity, moral building and spiritual development. Tumbling is incorporated into regular practice, but a separate tumbling practice is also scheduled into the week.
4. What are your skill requirements?
Cheerleaders must fly, back or base. Tumbling is not a required skill to make the team at this time, but cheerleaders are expected to learn to tumble and practice to increase tumbling skills and flexibility.
5. What are we looking for in cheerleaders?
We are looking for energetic, hard working individuals that are willing to increase their talent through instruction and dedication. It is important to have time management skills, academic goals and personal drive and development. We require a positive work ethic, respect for others, and dedication to the university and the cheerleading community.
6. Do you offer Scholarships?
Yes, we are excited to offer athletic scholarships towards tuition and university fees that may be stacked with other financial aid. Scholarships are need- and talent-based and are offered on a case-by-case basis. Scholarship information is confidential and scholarship amounts are not offered until a successful tryout and team commitment has been made.
7. What is the cost of the program?
CBU offers a fully funded cheerleading program that includes coaching, uniform expenses, competition fees and travel paid for by the university. Extras such as optional uniform pieces, personal t-shirts, and additional shoes are not included. Squads at the direction of the head coach and approval of administration may participate in out-of-state competitions which would be paid for by fundraisers done by the cheerleaders and/or sponsored by donors to the program.
8. What is the schedule like?
All cheerleaders must attend all practices, games and events as required by the coaching staff. Schedules are posted two weeks before the month begins. It is difficult to hold a job, participate in music program and intramural sports with the demanding athletic schedule. CBU views academics and athletic dedication as the top priority.
9. What else do we participate in?
We participate in CBU’s important community events such as the Holiday Home Tour, Midnight Madness and Homecoming. We actively fundraise for travel fees as well as solicit private and corporate donations. We also represent the university in community service projects.
10. Where do you practice?
Practices are held indoors, out of the weather elements with a full cheer floor and high ceilings.
11. Do you allow vacations over school breaks?
While we typically do not practice over Thanksgiving or Christmas breaks, all cheerleaders must obtain coach’s permission BEFORE booking a flight to and from home in order to ensure that they will not miss a required practice or event. Specific dates will be allowed for travel. We will practice and have activities over spring break and three-day weekends. Travel must not take place without prior written approval during these times.
12. When are tryouts?
Tryout appointments can be made by emailing or calling Head Coach Tami Flemming (email@example.com or 951-343-4849). Appointments are one-on-one and include a short interview and skills review. Videos will be accepted as well and must include:
• Two jumps (One toe touch and one additional jump)
• Any Tumbling skills
• Basing or flying skills
• Flexibility (i.e. leg holds, scale, scorpion, etc...)
• Four (8) counts of a dance (hip hop style, no jazz)
• Sideline cheer or crowd-leading cheer
• A short explanation as to why you would like to cheer at CBU
Luxury Box users
returning customers, please login here.