WHITEOUT IN HD: Women's Basketball Hosts James Madison Sunday
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 24, 2009
Sunday, January 25th - 3:00 p.m. (EST)
Ted Constant Convocation Center - Norfolk, Va.
Old Dominion Lady Monarchs (11-5, 6-0 CAA) vs.
James Madison Dukes (12-5, 5-1 CAA)
TV: Comcast SportsNet HD (Ch. 35 - Hampton Roads) (Al Koken - Play-by-Play, Jody Lavin-Patrick - Color)
Radio: WXEZ - 94.1 FM, WGAI-560 AM (Tony Mercurio - Play-by-Play, Susan Montgomery - Color)
Audio: Monarch All-Access
Video: Monarch All-Access
Tickets: www.coxtix.com, 888-3COXTIX, or Constant Center Box Office
Promotions: It's a WHITEOUT - Wear white ODU t-shirt to the game; Backyardagin's onsite courtesy of Cox Communications. Have your picture taken with Uniqua; Take a Kid To The Game Day - Buy one adult ticket at regular price and receive one children's ticket FREE; Big Blue's Birthday Party - Enjoy cake with Big Blue prior to the game. Stick around and watch Blue take on his mascot friends at halftime in a friendly game of basketball; Sunday Stars perform at halftime
LADY MONARCH MOMENTS:
Old Dominion returns to the Ted ConstantConvocation Center on Sunday to host James Madison. The game will be broadcast byComcast SportsnNet (Ch. 35 - Hampton Roads)and available in HD. Al Koken and Jody Lavin-Patrick will be on the call.
The Lady Monarchs are winners in their last six outings. ODU's last thfee opponents, George Mason, Georgia State, and William & Mary were each kept under the 50 points mark.
Senior Tiffany Green checks in having performed double-doubles in her last four games. The senior Lady Monarchs also moved into a tie for 10th on the all-time ODU career rebounding list and into third on the all-time CAA shot blockers list.
Sophomore Jasmine Parker added in 12 points against the Tribe Thursday night. Parker has scored in double figures in all five CAA contests thus far and is averaging 14.3 points a game against CAA rivals.
Junior Jessica Canady returned to the hardwood Thursday night against William & Mary after missing the last seven games with a thumb injury. Canady played 19 minutes with two points, five boards, and a steal.
The Lady Monarchs hit the road next week completing a pair of season series. Old Dominion heads to Georgia State on Thursday and VCU on Sunday.
COMPARE AND CONTRAST:
ODU - JMU
70.8 - Scoring - 74.2
.401 - Field Goal Percentage - .432
.304 - 3PT Field Goal Percentage - .334
.659 - Free Throw Percentage - .646
44.6 - Rebounds Per Game - 43.4
14.4 - Assists Per Game - 14.3
19.3 - Turnovers Per Game - 203
10.0 - Steals Per Game - 8.6
5.1 - Blocks Per Game - 5.5
ABOUT JAMES MADISON:
The James Madison Dukes enter Sunday's game at 12-5 overall and 5-1 in the CAA. The Dukes are winners in nine of their last ten contests with the only loss in the span an 81-41 setback at home against VCU in their only conference loss. James Madison has only one averaging double figures. Sophomore Dawn Evans is pouring in 24.1 points per game leading the nation in scoring. Senior forward Kisha Stokes leads James Madison on the boards at 7.3 rebounds per contest.
ALL-TIME SERIES WITH JAMES MADISON:
The Lady Monarchs have faced no other opponent as many times as they have the Dukes. Sunday's game will represent the 67th meeting between Old Dominion and James Madison with the Lady Monarchs owning a 50-16 advantage in the all-time series. James Madison handed Old Dominion its only loss last season in conference competition, 76-63, in Harrisonburg. When the Lady Monarchs head to Harrisonburg in March, Old Dominion will be looking for its first win since the 04-05 season having lost their last three appearances at the JMU Convocation Center.
LAST TIME VS. JAMES MADISON:
Dawn Evans scored 19 points to help James Madison beat No. 11 Old Dominion 76-63 back on March 2nd, 2008, ending the Lady Monarchs' 19-game winning streak. It was the first and only conference loss for the Lady Monarchs in 2008 Trailing 26-20 at the break, Old Dominion took the lead three times in the opening minutes of the second half, leading by as many as three points on a free throw by Jazzmin Walters. Jasmin Lawrence made a layup and the Dukes regained the lead 36-35. The teams traded baskets before Sierra Little made a jumper to put the Monarchs ahead for the final time, 49-48 with 9:09 left. James Madison used a 14-7 spurt in the last 2:49 to pull away. Tamera Young had 14 points for James Madison and Kisha Stokes had 12. Tiffany Green and Shahida Williams each had 10 points for Old Dominion. The Lady Monarchs were outmuscled on the boards, 60-41, with three different Dukes reaching double figures in rebounding.
WHAT A RUN:
Last time at the Constant Center, it may have been James Madison ahead at the half by two, but an electrifying second half included a 26-0 run by the Lady Monarchs to help spark the Old Dominion women's basketball team to a 82-57 win over the Dukes back on January 13, 2008. The Dukes were held scoreless for over seven minutes.
WELCOME TO THE TED:
Since the doors opened at the Ted Constant Convocation Center in 2002, the Lady Monarchs have enjoyed a 87-14 record.
ALL-TIME ODU POINTS LIST
1. - 2,719 - Anne Donovan (1979-1983)
2. - 2,647 - Inge Nissen (1976-1980)
3. - 2,430 - Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980)
4. - 2,224 - Kelly Lyons (1986-1990)
5. - 2,112 - Celeste Hill (1990-1994)
6. - 1,999 - Tracy Claxton (1980-1985)
7. - 1,968 - Medina Dixon (1982-1985)
8. - 1,854 - Nyree Roberts (1994-1998)
9. - 1,813 - C. Machanguana (1994-1997)
10. - 1,622 - Mery Andrade (1995-1999)
11. - 1,574 - Adrienne Goodson (1984-1988)
12. - 1,565 - Okeisha Howard (1999-2003)
13. - 1,525 - T.J. Jordan (2004 - present)
14. - 1,492 - Donna Harrington (1987-1988)
15. - 1,483 - Hamchetou Maiga (1998-2002)
16. - 1,447 - Shareese Grant (2001-2005)
17. - 1,409 - Monique Coker (2000-2004)
18. - 1,408 - Angela Cotman (1976-1980)
19. - 1,382 - Lucienne Berthieu (1998-2002)
20. - 1,304 - Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998)
21. - 1,275 - Kim McQuarter (1985-1989)
22.- 1,242 - Tiffany Green (2004 - present)
23. - 1,096 - Shonda DeBerry (1992-1996)
24. - 1,085 - Sharron Francis (1998-2002)
25. - 1,050 - Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981)
26. - 1,023 - Aubrey Eblin (1995-1999)
ALL-TIME ODU ASSISTS LIST
1. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 961
2. Ticha Penicheiro (1994-1998) - 939
3. Maire Christian (1983-1987) - 492
4. Sharron Francis (1998-2002) - 488
5. Debbie Richard (1976-1979) - 471
6. Mery Andrade (1995-1999) - 447
7. Jazzmin Walters (2005-present) - 414
8. Medina Dixon (1982-1985) - 417
9. Shareese Grant (2001-2005) - 376
10. Rhonda Rompola (1978-1981) - 362
ALL-TIME ODU REBOUNDS LIST
1. Anne Donovan (1979-1983) - 1,976
2. Inge Nissen (1976-1980) - 1,459
3. Tracy Claxton * (1980-1985) - 1,434
4. Nancy Lieberman (1976-1980) - 1,167
5. Celeste Hill (1990-1994) - 1,124
6. Kelly Lyons (1986-1990) - 1,008
7. Nyree Roberts (1994-1998) - 986
8. Medina Dixon ** (1982-1985) - 979
9. Monique Coker (2000-2004) - 951
10t. Donna Harrington (1984-1988) - 884
10t. Tiffany Green (2004-pres.) - 884
* - played two seasons at Kansas
** - played one season at South Carolina
CAA CAREER BLOCKS LIST
1. Trish Halpin, Mason (1997-2000) - 236
2. Nyree Robers, ODU (1994-98) - 214
3. Tiffany Green, ODU (2004-pres.) - 188
4. Hollee Franklin, JMU (1999-2002) - 186
5. Amy Dorsett, UR (1993-1997) - 176
6. Vanessa Gidden, HU (2004-2007) - 175
7. Mona Karlsson, VCU (1996-1999) - 156
8. Rebecca Dayvault, W&M (1989-1993) - 155
9. Monique Pompili, ECU (1984-1988) - 149
10. Quanitra Hollingsworth, VCU (2005-pres.) - 144