Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Athletic Communications & Media
Pictures courtesy of Paul Penders Photography, Click HERE to order
CLERMONT, Fla. – (Box Score) (Bracket) Behind 12 base hits, No. 3 Marian (Ind.) posted a 10-6 win today against No. 6 Southern Oregon at the 2018 NAIA Softball World Series at Legends Way Ball Fields. The 38th annual event is hosted by PFX Athletics for the second-straight year.
- Marian advances in the winner’s bracket to face the winner of No. 2 Oklahoma City / No. 10 Columbia (Mo.) at 5:30 p.m. EDT on Monday.
- Southern Oregon falls to the elimination bracket and will play No. 7 Mobile (Ala.) on Saturday at Noon EDT.
Key Turning Point of the Game:
- Marian sprinted out to a 4-0 lead before Southern Oregon even had a chance to bat. There were three hits in the top of the first inning, which included RBI base knocks by Mackenzie Reeder and Issy Hoyt.
- The entire Marian offensive line-up was impressive tonight with 10 runs scored and 12 hits.
- The Knights posted at least one base hit in six of seven innings. In four of those frames, the offense punched two-or-more hits.
- Marian continually put the offensive pressure with 11 runners left-on-base.
- The 16 combined runs scored is the most in a World Series game since 16 in the 10-6 win by Southeastern (Fla.) in 2016.
- The two clubs combined for 25 hits in the contest.
- Mackenzie Reeder led the Knights with a 3-for-5 performance at the dish. She scored once and had one RBI. Issy Hoyt, Carly Greene and Sadie Baugh each collected a pair of hits.
- Harlee Donovan was Southern Oregon’s leading hitter going a perfect 3-for-3 with four RBI and two runs scored.
- Marian improves to 2-6 all-time in in its fourth World Series appearance. The Knights are now 2-2 in Game 1’s.
- In its second trip, Southern Oregon is now 2-3 in the World Series. The Raiders are 1-1 in Game 1’s.
- The team scoring first through three games is 3-1.
- The home team through three games is 1-3.
- The higher seeds now hold a 2-2 record thus far in the World Series.
To follow all the action, with live stats, live video, bracket and more, CLICK HERE