Story by Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Athletic Communications & Media
Pictures courtesy of Paul Penders Photography, Click HERE to order
CLERMONT, Fla. – (Box Score) (Bracket) No. 10 seed Columbia (Mo.) moved to 3-0 in the NAIA Softball World Series with a 2-1 victory against No. 3 Marian (Ind.) in a winner’s bracket game Monday night at the NAIA Softball World Series. The 38th annual event is hosted by PFX Athletics for the second-straight year.
- Columbia stays undefeated at 3-0 and will take on Science & Arts (Okla.) Tuesday at 2 p.m. EDT in the winner’s bracket.
- With its first loss in the World Series, Marian drops into the elimination round and will face No. 6 Southern Oregon Tuesday at Noon.
Key Turning Point of the Game:
- The Cougars notched the winning run in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Allyson Metz led off with an infield single. She moved over to second on a passed ball and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt.
- A liner to left field off the bat of Natalie Dummitt scored Metz.
- That play proved to be the game-winner.
- Columbia pitcher Lexi Dickerson earned the complete-game win. She allowed one run (zero earned) on six hits. She struck out two batters.
- She improved to 15-3 in the circle.
- Marian’s Sadie Baugh led all players with a 3-for-3 effort at the dish. She laced a double in the second inning to drive in the Knights only run.
- Columbia finished with just three singles on the night. However, they took advantage of four walks and one hit-by-pitch.
- In a game that was scheduled to have first pitch at 5:30 p.m. EDT due to a lengthy weather delay, the game began at 9:50 p.m.
- Marian falls to 2-7 all-time playing in its fourth all-time World Series.
- In its 17th World Series, Columbia stands 20-34.
- There have been six home runs hit by five different players in this World Series.
- The team scoring first through 12 games now is 8-4.
- The home team stands 5-7.
- The higher seeds now hold a 7-5 record thus far in the World Series.
To follow all the action, with live stats, live video, bracket and more, CLICK HERE