Volleyball Drops Match to No. 22 Missouri
Asst. Communications Director
BATON ROUGE – The LSU volleyball team fell to No. 22 Missouri in four sets Wednesday night by scores of 10-25, 25-19, 23-25 and 18-25 in the Pete Maravich Assembly Center. The Tigers are now 8-5 on the season and 2-1 in SEC play. Missouri moves to 9-3 on the season and 1-1 in the SEC.
Taylor Bannister led the Tigers with 19 kills and seven digs. Raigen Cianciulli led the Tigers in digs with 17, while Karli Rose picked up a team-high 37 assists.
The Tigers will be at home against Ole Miss on Sunday at 1 p.m. This match will stream live on SECN+ and live stats will be available.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- LSU fell behind early to the Missouri Tigers, but Taylor Bannister and Milan Stokes had kills to put the Tigers on the board 4-2. Stokes recorded a kill to try and put the Tigers back into the set 9-4. The Tigers couldn't gain much momentum but recorded kills from Stokes and Samarah Hill to try to get in a rhythm.
- Bannister and Stokes both added kills for the Tigers but Missouri still held the lead 21-9. The Tigers fell behind early in the first set and couldn't bounce back, falling 25-10.
- In the second set the Tigers recorded an ace from Jill Bohnet, followed by a huge block from Bannister to put the Tigers in the lead 3-2. Bannister came out hot in the second set where she added two kills to keep the Tigers in the lead, 5-4. LSU fell behind 6-5 but Bannister again recorded a kill to even the score at 6-6. Whitney Foreman added a kill to keep the score even at 7-7.
- Hill tallied another kill to put the Tigers in the lead 9-8. Missouri pulled ahead of the Tigers, but Bannister recorded a kill and followed with two aces top even the score 14-14.
- LSU pushed to a 20-16 after kills from Bannister and Hill. Missouri pushed back but it a block from Anita Anwusi helped the Tigers stop the run. Karli Rose recorded an ace late in the second set to put the Tiger lead 23-17. Anwusi recorded the final kill of the set to even the match 1-1.
- The two teams battled back and forth starting the third set. Rose and Bannister recorded kills to keep the score even at 2-2. Mukes tallied another kill, tying the set 5-5. LSU added another point to the board, forcing Mizzou to take their first timeout of the set.
- Foreman tallied a kill to come within one of Missouri, 14-13. Bannister tied the set up with a kill and the two teams would go back and forth until Missouri took the set 25-23 and a 2-1 lead on the match.
- In the fourth set the Tigers took a 6-5 lead after a Bannister kill. The Tigers fell behind 15-8, and Missouri pushed to a 16-10 lead.
- Foreman came up with a big block to stop the Missouri run, but Missouri continued their momentum, taking a 20-14 lead. Bannister and Hill recorded back-to-back kills, but Missouri still led 22-16. LSU tried to work its way back late in the set, but fell in the fourth, 25-18.
- After recording 19 kills on the match, Bannister is now 10 kills away from recording 1,000 in her career.
FRAN'S FINAL THOUGHTS
On what the team has to do moving forward…
"Well, I was proud of them for bouncing back. The other times that we have started matches like this, we couldn't get them back. It's a confidence thing, it's an experience thing, and it's the freshman being in a situation that they have never been in before."
On Taylor Bannister's night…
"Taylor is such a great player, and I am super proud of her for maintaining. There was never really a lull. The errors that she had were really situational errors and the opportunities that she had weren't great."
On resilience of team rallying in second match…
"We have not seen that out of our team yet this year. We preach it all of the time. That is the signature of what Fran Flory volleyball is at LSU. We fight, and we never give in. Some of my teams when we are down 0-2 say 'Coach, we got them right where we want them.' To see that kind of confidence and that drive start to manifest itself is a huge positive for us as a staff."
Volleyball Social Center
For all of the latest news and information on Tiger volleyball, visit www.lsusports.net/volleyball. Fans can also follow the program on its social media outlets at www.Facebook.com/lsuvolleyball along with @lsuvolleyball and @lsucoachfran on Twitter and @lsuvolleyball on Instagram.