NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS (17-12, 8-7) AT DUKE BLUE DEVILS (13-14, 5-10)
Game 28 • Sunday, March 3 • 12:00 PM
Durham, N.C. • Cameron Indoor Stadium (9,314)
Tickets: www.GoDuke.com (1-877-375-3853)
Live Stats: www.GoDuke.com
Radio: Duke Sports Network
(620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, www.GoDuke.com, TuneIn app)
Radio Talent: Chris Edwards (PXP)
TV Talent: Tiffany Greene (PXP), LaChina Robinson (Color)
Duke Head Coach: Joanne P. McCallie (Northwestern, ‘87)
Record: 626-242 (27)
UNC Head Coach: Sylvia Hatchell (Carson Newman, ‘74)
Record: 1022-402 (44)
Setting the Scene...
Duke (13-14, 5-10 ACC) will conclude the regular season by hosting North Carolina (17-12, 8-7) Sunday, March 3, with a 12 p.m. tip in Cameron Indoor Stadium. It will mark senior day for the Blue Devils as Faith Suggs and Sofia Roma will be recognized following the game.
The game will be aired live on ESPN2 with Tiffany Greene (PXP) and LaChina Robinson (Color) calling the game. It will also be carried on the Duke Sports Network via 620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, TuneIn app and www.GoDuke.com with Chris Edwards (PXP) on the air beginning at 11:45 a.m. (ET).
What is Next?...
Duke will travel to Greensboro, N.C., to compete in the ACC Tournament. The full bracket will be released Sunday, March 3 following the end of the regular season. The tournament will go from March 6-10 at the Greensboro Coliseum.
• In two career games against North Carolina, Haley Gorecki has averaged 28.5 points, 9.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 1.5 steals. Both of these contests were held in Chapel Hill, N.C. She has hit 10-of-21 three-pointers in those contests. She had 29 points in 2018 and 28 points earlier this season.
• Miela Goodchild is coming off a week where she averaged 20.0 points and drained 12-of-22 three-pointers, while being named ACC Rookie of the Week for the second time. Goodchild needs only four three-pointers to tie Rebecca Greenwell’s Duke freshman three-point field goals made record of 72.
• Haley Gorecki is the only player in the ACC to rank in the top 15 in all four categories (points, rebounds, steals and assists) and one of three in power five conferences to rank in the top 15 in all four categories in her conference (Bridget Carleton of Iowa State, Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon).
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• Freshman Miela Goodchild hit 26 treys in 12 non-conference games and has sank 42 three-pointers in 15 league games.
• Haley Gorecki blocked only one shot the first 18 games of the season, but over the last eight games she has eight swats, including two at Notre Dame.
• Over the last seven games, freshman Onome Akinbode-James has averaged 6.0 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.7 blocks and 1.0 assists. She had nine points and nine rebounds at Wake Forest and then tied a career high with 14 rebounds against Clemson, while swatting a career-high six shots.
• Miela Goodchild ranks fifth nationally with a 45.9 three-point field goal percentage. She has the second-highest percentage by a freshman.
• Duke had a season-high combined blocks and steals in the Clemson game with 21.
• Miela Goodchild’s 26 points against fifth-ranked Notre Dame joined only Duke’s Alana Beard as freshmen to score 26 or more points against a top-five team nationally. Beard had 27 points versus Iowa State on Dec. 30, 2000.
• Since Duke totaled 85 points in a win at North Carolina, the Blue Devils have averaged 56.6 points and hit 39.2 percent from the field in the last five games. Duke has been outrebounded by 7.4 in those games.
• In 14 ACC games to date, Onome Akinbode-James and Leaonna Odom have combined to block 41 shots, while Duke’s ACC opponents have blocked 46 shots total.
• Over the last 10 games, Miela Goodchild has averaged 15.0 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists. She has hit 47.3 percent from downtown, including 35 treys and sank 50.9 percent from the field. Goodchild scored double-digits in nine of those 10 games.
• In league games, Duke ranks fifth in the ACC in three-point field goal percentage (35.4) and fourth in three-point field goal percentage defense (29.9). In 15 ACC games, Duke has made four more three-point basket than its opponents (94-90), yet Duke opponents have taken 47 more attempts.
• Redshirt junior Haley Gorecki and freshman Miela Goodchild have combined to drain 121 three-pointers on the season. Their 4.5 combined three-pointers a game ranks as the third-highest in school history -- Rebecca Greenwell/Lexie Brown (4.7 in 2017-18), Greenwell/Brown (4.6 in 2016-17).
• Leaonna Odom owns 945 points over her career and needs 55 points to become the 34th Duke player to reach the 1,000-point mark.
• Haley Gorecki is currently averaging 36.1 minutes per game, which is second in the ACC. Katie Meier holds the Duke record for highest per game average (36.0, 1989-90). Gorecki is averaging 37.0 minutes a game in ACC play, which is third.
• Jade Williams had 15 points, eight rebounds, three assists, three steals and three blocks against Pittsburgh. She is one of only three players in the ACC to notch 15-8-3-3-3 in a game in 2018-19 (Brianna Turner of Notre Dame, Emily Engstler of Syracuse).
• Miela Goodchild currently ranks second in the ACC with a 45.9 three-point field goal percentage and tied fifth with a 2.5 three-pointers per game average. In ACC games only, Goodchild ranks sixth (43.8) in three-point field goal percentage and tied third in three-point field goals made per game (2.8).
• Haley Gorecki’s 11 games with 20 or more points ranks fourth in the ACC.
• Senior Faith Suggs leads the Blue Devils with 11 charges taken on the season and 15 over her four year career. She has taken 10 charges over the last 17 games.
• Follow @DukeWBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women’s basketball. Also, “Like” Duke Women’s Basketball on Facebook to get the latest videos, pictures and more. DWB is on Instagram at dukewbb.
A Look at North Carolina...
North Carolina enters the contest with a 17-12 overall and 8-7 league mark under head coach Sylvia Hatchell. The Tar Heels have been led by Janelle Bailey (17.0 points, 8.9 rebounds), Paris Kea (16.7 points, 43 treys), Stephanie Watts (15.2 points, 82 treys), Shayla Bennett (11.0 points, 41 treys) and Taylor Koenen (10.0 points, 7.0 rebounds). UNC is averaging 8.2 three-pointers made a game.
The Series with North Carolina..
Duke and North Carolina will meet for the 99th time in school history with the Tar Heels holding a narrow 50-48 advantage. The Blue Devils have won nine out of the last 10 contests in the series, including four in a row in Durham. In games played in Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke owns a 26-15 advantage including wins in nine out of the last 10 games. Coach P owns an 18-11 record against North Carolina.
Leading the Blue Devils...
Haley Gorecki currently leads Duke in points (17.4), rebounds (7.1) and assists (3.9). No Blue Devil in school history has led the squad in all three of those categories.
Katie Meier led Duke in points, assists and tied for the lead in rebounds during the 1989-90 campaign.
In ACC history, only six players have led their schools in scoring, rebounding and assists -- Lakeia Stokes, Clemson (2003-04), Kisha Ford, Georgia Tech (1993-94), Shenise Johnson, Miami (2011-12), Laine Selwyn, Pitt (2001-02; 2002-03), Amy Privette, Wake Forest (1986-87) and Bernadette McGlade, UNC (1979-80).
Another Milestone Approaching...
Redshirt junior Haley Gorecki is approaching another impressive milestone as she could be the third Blue Devil to register 500 points, 200 rebounds, 100 assists and 75 steals. She would join only Alana Bead (2001-02, 2002-03) and Monique Currie (2004-05), which is some pretty impressive company. Gorecki owns 469 points, 191 rebounds, 104 assists and 73 steals in only 27 games.
Goodchild Impresses at Notre Dame...
Freshman Miela Goodchild rose to the occasion at fifth-ranked Notre Dame as she scored a career-high 26 points and also set new freshman records for made three-pointers (8) and three-pointers attempted (14). She scored 21 of her 26 points in the second half and hit seven three-pointers in the second half. Her 26 points was tied for the 12th most by a Duke freshman in a single game. Her eight three-pointers matched Rebecca Greenwell’s Duke overall single game record as well. Goodchild’s 14 three-pointers attempted was tied for the fourth most in Duke history.
Moving Up Three-Point Charts...
In 27 games, Duke freshman Miela Goodchild has drained 68 three-pointers, which ranks second on the Blue Devil freshman charts. Rebecca Greenwell holds the record in 34 games, while Goodchild has played in only 27 contests. Goodchild set a Duke freshman record with eight three-pointers made at Notre Dame and also set a rookie record with 14 attempts. Her 68 treys ranks as the tied for ninth most in Duke history overall.
Goodchild’s 68 three-pointers ranks second among other ACC freshmen. It is also tied for ninth-most in the NCAA among freshmen.
Player 3PM Games
Dara Mabrey (VT) 70 28
Miela Goodchild (DU) 68 27
Elizabeth Balogun (GT) 62 28
Makayla Dickins (BC) 61 28
ACC Freshman Record - 3-Pointers Made
85 Kaela Davis, Georgia Tech (2013-14)
81 Gabby Cooper, Syracuse (2016-17)
80 Milan Bolden-Morris, Boston College (2017-18)
76 Aisha Shepard, Virginia Tech (2017-18)
76 Stephanie Watts, North Carolina (2015-16)
74 Kelly Hughes, Boston College (2013-14)
72 Rebecca Greenwell, Duke (2014-15)
71 Kara Lounsbury, Georgia Tech (1988-89)
70 Dara Mabrey, Virginia Tech (2018-19)
68 Miela Goodchild, Duke (2018-19)
66 Jennifer Howard, NC State (1993-94)
65 Marissa Kastanek, NC State (2009-10)
On the overall list (all DWB players, all classes) of made threes in a season, tied for No. 9 on the list are Jessica Foley (2004-05) and Abby Waner (2006-07) with 68. At Goodchild’s current pace (2.5 made threes) per game, she could finish the regular season with 70 made threes. With a few games in the ACC Tournament and the potential for postseason play, Goodchild has a chance to pass Greenwell.
Against ACC Foes...
Haley Gorecki is playing some of her best basketball against ACC opponents averaging 18.0 points, 4.4 assists, 7.4 rebounds, 2.6 steals. In the ACC rankings, she is tied fourth in scoring, tied 11th in rebounding, seventh in assists and tied first in steals. Gorecki became the first Duke player in school history to register 26 points, 10 rebounds and six steals in an ACC contest against Syracuse. She owns seven games with 20+ points against ACC foes.
At Home in Cameron...
Duke owns an 8-4 record at home in Cameron Indoor Stadium and 3-4 in league play. In 12 home games, Haley Gorecki has averaged 16.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.9 steals. She has notched 26 points on three different occasions against ECU, Syracuse and Virginia Tech. Miela Goodchild has averaged 12.9 points, 2.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals. She has hit 33-of-70 treys for a 47.1 percentage.
Jayda Adams has hit 14 of her 17 three-pointers at home in Cameron. She owns a 48.3 percentage (14-of-29).
In 12 ACC home games, Duke has limited its opponents to 57.5 points and only one team has reached the 70-point mark.