DUKE BLUE DEVILS (11-13, 3-9) AT #5/5 NOTRE DAME (24-3, 11-2)
Game 25 • Thursday, Feb. 21 • 7:00 PM
Notre Dame, Ind. • Purcell Pavilion at Joyce Center (9,149)
ACC Network Extra
Tickets: www.und.com ((574) 631-7356)
Live Stats: www.GoDuke.com
Radio: Duke Sports Network
(620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, www.GoDuke.com, TuneIn app)
Radio Talent: Chris Edwards (PXP)
TV/Video: ACC Network Extra
TV Talent: Juan Jose Rodriguez (PXP), Mike Lightoot (Color),
Caroline Pineda (Sideline)
Duke Head Coach: Joanne P. McCallie (Northwestern, ‘87)
Record: 624-241 (27)
Notre Dame Head Coach: Muffet McGraw (St. Joseph’s, ‘77)
Record: 491-180 (23)
Setting the Scene...
After having the weekend off, the Duke women’s basketball team (11-13, 3-9 ACC) will hit the road for Notre Dame, Ind., to take on fifth-ranked Notre Dame (24-3, 11-2) Thursday, Feb. 21 at 7 p.m., at the Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center.
The game will be aired live on ACC Network Extra with Juan Jose Rodriguez (PXP), Mike Lightoot (Color) and Caroline Pineda (Sideline) calling the game. It will also be carried on the Duke Sports Network via 620 AM, 99.3 FM, 96.5 FM, TuneIn app and www.GoDuke.com with Chris Edwards (PXP) on the air beginning at 6:45 p.m. (ET).
What is Next?...
The Blue Devils will make the short trip to Winston-Salem, N.C., to take on Wake Forest Sunday, Feb. 24 at 1 p.m.
• Senior Faith Suggs and redshirt junior Haley Gorecki will head close to home when the Blue Devils face Notre Dame as both are from the Chicago area.
• Haley Gorecki is the only player in the ACC to rank in the top 15 in all four categories (points, rebounds, steals and assists) and one of four in power five conferences to rank in the top 15 in all four categories in her conference (Bridget Carleton of Iowa State, Sabrina Ionescu of Oregon and Aari McDonald of Arizona).
• Haley Gorecki is averaging 21.2 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 4.0 steals on the season against ranked opponents. She had a season-high 26 points against Syracuse. Gorecki is the only ACC player to boast an average of 20.0 points and 6.0 rebounds against ranked opponents.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• Since Duke totaled 85 points in a win at North Carolina, the Blue Devils have averaged 52.0 points and hit 38.9 percent from the field.
• Haley Gorecki has averaged 22.2 points, 9.7 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 2.8 steals over the last six games. Gorecki notched four straight double-doubles with one also being a triple-double. She was the first Duke player to notch four straight double-doubles since Azura Stevens in 2015-16.
• Over the last five games, freshman Onome Akinbode-James has averaged 6.4 points and 5.0 rebounds, while blocking eight shots.
• Duke has averaged 18.8 turnovers a game this season, but is coming off notching a season-low nine turnovers against Virginia Tech.
• Over the last two games, Jade Williams has averaged 3.0 points a game, while hitting 3-of-13 field goals. This is coming after scoring double-digits in three straight games and hitting 19-of-32 field goals (59.4%).
• Haley Gorecki ranks tied 21st nationally with a 2.9 steals per game average.
• Leaonna Odom owns 921 points over her career and needs 79 points to become the 34th Duke player to reach the 1,000-point mark.
• Jade Williams has picked up her play in ACC action averaging 8.6 points, after averaging 7.3 points in non-conference action.
• Haley Gorecki is currently averaging 36.2 minutes per game, which leads the ACC. Katie Meier holds the Duke record for highest per game average (36.0, 1989-90).
• Jade Williams had 15 points, eight rebounds, three assists, three steals and three blocks against Pittsburgh. She is one of only three players in the ACC to notch 15-8-3-3-3 in a game in 2018-19 (Brianna Turner of Notre Dame, Emily Engstler of Syracuse).
• Miela Goodchild ranks ninth nationally with a 45.3 three-point field goal percentage. She has the third-highest percentage by a freshman behind Brittni Moore of UT Martin and Virginia Tech’s Dara Mabrey (48.7).
• Miela Goodchild currently ranks third in the ACC with a 45.3 three-point field goal percentage and ninth with a 2.2 three-pointers per game average.
• Forced to play more of a point guard role since the injury to Mikayla Boykin, Leaonna Odom dished a career-high nine assists at Boston College.
• Haley Gorecki’s 70 steals on the season ranks tied 19th nationally.
• Jade Williams drained her first collegiate three-pointer on her first attempt of the season at Boston College.
• Haley Gorecki is tied for first in the ACC for most double-doubles by a guard with seven (Kiara Leslie of NC State and Jocelyn Willoughby of Virginia each have seven).
• Miela Goodchild tied a Duke freshman record with 11 three-pointers attempted in a single game versus Wake Forest. Her 117 three-pointers attempted on the season ranks third on the Blue Devil freshman charts.
• Redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin had surgery Jan. 22, after tearing her right ACL in the Miami contest on Jan. 17. She will miss the remainder of the 2018-19 campaign.
• Haley Gorecki’s 10 games with 20 or more points ranks fourth in the ACC.
• Senior Faith Suggs leads the Blue Devils with nine charges taken on the season and 13 over her four year career. She has taken eight charges over the last 14 games.
• Duke held Wisconsin (53), Marist (56), UNLV (38), FGCU (41) and NC State (63) to season low points.
• Duke’s Haley Gorecki, Syracuse’s Tiana Mangakahia and Notre Dame’s Jackie Young are the only players in the ACC to have a triple-double this season.
• Redshirt junior Haley Gorecki and freshman Miela Goodchild have combined to drain 100 three-pointers on the season.
• All 29 of Duke’s 2018-19 contests will be aired on some type of television between ESPN+, ACC Network Extra, ESPN2, RSN-TV, PAC 12 Network and Big Ten Network.
• Follow @DukeWBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women’s basketball. Also, “Like” Duke Women’s Basketball on Facebook to get the latest videos, pictures and more. DWB is on Instagram at dukewbb.
A Look at Notre Dame...
Notre Dame enters the contest with a 24-3 overall and 11-2 league mark. The Irish feature five double-digit scorers -- Arike Ogunbowale (21.1), Jessica Shepherd (15.7), Marina Mabrey (14.6), Jackie Young (14.5) and Brianna Turner (13.1). Notre Dame holds a 12-1 record at home this season with the lone loss coming against Connecticut.
The Series with Notre Dame..
Duke and Notre Dame will meet for the 18th time in school history Thursday with the Irish leading the series, 16-1. The Blue Devils have lost 14 straight contests in the series. The Blue Devils are 0-5 in games played at Notre Dame, but the last meeting Duke dropped a close game, 62-58, in 2017. Coach P has tallied a 2-12 mark versus Notre Dame over her career.
Duke Players Versus Notre Dame..
In two career games against Notre Dame, Leaonna Odom has averaged 11.5 points and 6.0 rebounds against the Irish. Trying to play through a hip injury a year ago, Haley Gorecki struggled in nine minutes of play going 0-of-4 from the field and scoring zero points last season in Cameron.
Against ACC Foes...
Haley Gorecki is playing some of her best basketball against ACC opponents averaging 19.5 points, 4.5 assists, 7.8 rebounds, 3.0 steals. In the ACC rankings, she is first in scoring, 10th in rebounding,tied fourth in assists and first in steals. Gorecki became the first Duke player in school history to register 26 points, 10 rebounds and six steals in an ACC contest against Syracuse.
Top Duke ACC Scoring Averages
21.6 Alana Beard, 2002-03
21.2 Alana Beard, 2003-04
20.4 Azura Stevens, 20.44
20.3 Alana Beard, 2001-02
19.6 Lexie Brown, 2017-18
19.5 Haley Gorecki, 2018-19
19.2 Michele Van Gorp, 1998-99
Gorecki owns tied for the most 20+ point games this season against ACC opponents --
6 Haley Gorecki, Duke
6 Arike Ogunbowale, Notre Dame
5 Asia Durr, Louisville
5 Taylor Emery, Virginia Tech
4 Kiah Gillespie, FSU
Against Ranked Opponents..
So far this season, Duke owns an 0-6 record against ranked opponents. Haley Gorecki has been stellar against the best as she is averaging 21.2 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.3 steals and 3.0 assists. She has notched back-to-back games of 25 points and 26 points over the last two contests. In those games, she hit 19-of-37 field goals and 4-of-12 three-pointers. Leaonna Odom owns averages of 14.0 points, 6.3 rebounds, 1.3 blocks and 1.0 steals. She had a season-high 20 points at 21st-ranked Florida State.
Gorecki Close to Moving into Record Chart...
On the season, Haley Gorecki has attempted 170 three-pointers and she is only seven away from moving into a tie for 10th on Duke’s single season charts.
Three-Point Field Goal Attempted
1. 208 Rebecca Greenwell, 2016-17
2. 202 Rebecca Greenwell, 2014-15
3. 191 Jessica Foley, 2004-05
4. 188 Abby Waner, 2007-08
188 Abby Waner, 2006-07
6. 186 Lexie Brown, 2017-18
7. 184 Abby Waner, 2008-09
8. 183 Lexie Brown, 2016-17
9. 181 Tricia Liston, 2013-14
10. 177 Jasmine Thomas, 2009-10
170 Haley Gorecki, 2018-19
Moving Up Three-Point Charts...
In 24 games, Duke freshman Miela Goodchild has drained 53 three-pointers, which ranks second on the Blue Devil freshman record charts.
Duke Freshman 3-Pointers Made List
1. 72 Rebecca Greenwell, 2014-15
2. 53 Miela Goodchild, 2018-19
3. 50 Abby Waner, 2005-06
4. 41 Wanisha Smith, 2004-05
41 Jenni Kraft, 1988-89
Goodchild’s 53 three-pointers ranks fourth among other ACC freshmen.
Player 3PM Games
Dara Mabrey (VT) 62 25
Makayla Dickins (BC) 60 26
Elizabeth Balogun (GT) 56 25
Miela Goodchild (DU) 53 24
On the overall list (all DWB players, all classes) of made threes in a season, tied for No. 9 on the list are Jessica Foley (2004-05) and Abby Waner (2006-07) with 68. At Goodchild’s current pace (2.21 made threes) per game, she could finish the regular season with 61 made threes. With a few games in the ACC Tournament and the potential for postseason play (whether NCAAT or WNIT), Goodchild could not only pass Foley/Waner (and it would be neat to have one Aussie pass another Aussie) and challenge Greenwell for the record for all DWB freshmen.
Goodchild Nets Career High...
Freshman Miela Goodchild scored a career-high 23 points at Boston College as she hit a career-high 5-of-6 treys for an 80.0 percentage. She backed that up with 20 points on 6-of-9 treys against Pitt. Her six three-pointers made against Pitt matched Rebecca Greenwell’s Duke freshman record. She had scored double-digits in five straight contests, prior to having four points at Virginia. Goodchild is the seventh Duke freshman to post 20+ points in consecutive games and the fifth to do it against ACC opponents. The last Blue Devil to accomplish this was Azura Stevens in 2015.
On the Road...
Duke has totaled a 3-7 overall record on the road this season.
Haley Gorecki owns averages of 19.4 points, 7.6 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 3.0 steals. She had a streak of four straight contests with 20+ points end at Virginia as she had 13 points. Of the 10 road games, Gorecki has notched 20+ points in five of those. Leaonna Odom has totaled double-digit scoring in five straight road games and on the season is averaging 14.4 points, 6.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.2 steals. Five of Jade Williams’ eight games with double-digit scoring have come on the road.
Down Point Guards...
Duke has been down three point guards this season with the injuries to Mikayla Boykin and Kyra Lambert. Freshman guard Rayah Craig left the program after the first semester as well. This has hurt Duke’s offense and limited the Blue Devils to only 12.4 assists per game, which is one of the lowest per game averages in school history.