DURHAM, N.C. – The No. 49 Duke Blue Devils fell in heartbreaking fashion to No. 29 Florida State, 4-3, but bounced back for a 4-0 sweep of N.C. Central Sunday evening at home inside Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center.
Match one vs No. 29 Florida State
Outside in Ambler Tennis Stadium during the afternoon, all three courts came down to the wire in doubles play, with Duke prevailing on courts two and three to clinch the point. Senior Catalin Mateas and sophomore Sean Sculley won first, as the pair defeated Bryn Nahrung and Lucas Poullain, 6-4, on court two. Just seconds later, juniors Spencer Furman and Robert Levine took court three with a 6-3 defeat of Chase Wood and Juan Martin Jalif.
Furman and Levine earned their seventh win of the season as a duo (7-2) and fifth in conference play (5-2). Seniors Jason Lapidus and Vincent Lin were winning 5-3 over Sebastian Arcila and Alex Knaff before the point was called.
In singles action, No. 41 Poullain put Florida State on the board with a 6-0, 6-1 victory over No. 99 Nick Stachowiak at the number one position. The Seminoles held a brief lead after Knaff defeated Furman 6-3, 6-1 on court two, however, Lin brought the match back to even with a 6-0, 6-3 win over Chase Wood on court six.
Due to rain, the match was moved indoors to Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. The match resumed after a 15-minute warmup period.
Martin Jalif defeated Mateas 6-3, 6-2 on court four to give Florida State the lead again, however, Levine won on court four 6-2, 6-3 over Enzo Le Seguillon to tie the match at 3-3. The final point came down to Rana-Roop Singh Bhullar and Sculley, who were battling it out on court five.
Singh Bhullar took the first set 7-5, but Sculley stormed back for a 6-1 set two victory, forcing a match clinching third set. The players went back and forth, with Sculley taking leads 2-1 and 5-4. Singh Bhullar tied it up at 5-5 and broke to give himself a 6-5 lead. The Seminole prevailed in the next game, defeating Sculley 7-5, 1-6, 7-5.
“It was a heck of a match,” said head coach Ramsey Smith. “It came down to the last court with both guys competing great and we fell a couple of points short at the end. I thought our doubles was great again and that really set the tone. Florida State did a great job rebounding and grabbed the momentum early on quite a few courts especially in those top three spots, but we battled back and gave ourselves a chance but fell just short.”
Match two vs N.C. Central
The Blue Devils continued their successful doubles play, winning their 14th doubles point of the season against the Eagles. Lapidus and Lin made quick work on court one, winning 6-2 over Gabriel Cucalon and Sebastian Bromley. The point was clinched after Mateas and Stachowiak paired together for the first time this season and won 6-4 on court two over Amit Baran and Pable Juez Torres. Thanos Spyropoulos and Christos Dagklis held a 5-4 lead over Fuman and Levine on court three before play was called.
In singles, Lapidus kept the Blue Devil momentum with a straight-set, 6-1, 6-2 victory on court five over Bromley. Mateas, who was playing right next to him on court three, earned a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Dagklis seconds later, putting Duke ahead 3-0. Furman sealed the deal with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Baran on court two, giving Duke the 4-0 victory.
Duke earned the tenth-seed in the ACC Championship, and will play seventh-seed Florida State at 11:30 a.m. at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, North Carolina. More information about the ACC Championship will be released soon.
Tennis Match Results
Florida State University vs Duke
Apr 14, 2019 at Durham, N.C.
(Ambler Tennis Stadium)
#29 Florida State University 4, #49 Duke 3
1. #41 Lucas Poullain (FSU) def. #99 Nick Stachowiak (DU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alex Knaff (FSU) def. Spencer Furman (DU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Juan Martin Jalif (FSU) def. Catalin Mateas (DU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Robert Levine (DU) def. Enzo Le Seguillon (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Rana Roop Bhullar (FSU) def. Sean Sculley (DU) 7-5, 1-6, 7-5
6. Vincent Lin (DU) def. Chase Wood (FSU) 6-0, 6-3
1. Jason Lapidus/Vincent Lin (DU) vs. Sebastian Arcila/Alex Knaff (FSU) 5-3, unfinished
2. Catalin Mateas/Sean Sculley (DU) def. Bryn Nahrung/Lucas Poullain (FSU) 6-4
3. Robert Levine/Spencer Furman (DU) def. Chase Wood/Juan Martin Jalif (FSU) 6-3
Florida State University 17-9, 6-6; National ranking #29
Duke 10-13, 4-8; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,2,6,3,4,5)
Tennis Match Results
N.C. Central vs Duke
Apr 14, 2019 at Durham, N.C.
(Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center)
#49 Duke 4, N.C. Central 0
1. #99 Nick Stachowiak (DU) vs. CUCALON,Gabriel (NCCU) 6-4, 1-3, unfinished
2. Spencer Furman (DU) def. BARAN,Amit (NCCU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Catalin Mateas (DU) def. DAGKLIS,Christos (NCCU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Vincent Lin (DU) vs. SPYROPOULOS,Thanos (NCCU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
5. Jason Lapidus (DU) def. BROMLEY,Sebastian (NCCU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Samir Agadi (DU) vs. JUEZ TORRES,Pablo (NCCU) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
1. Jason Lapidus/Vincent Lin (DU) def. CUCALON,Gabriel/BROMLEY,Sebastian (NCCU) 6-2
2. Catalin Mateas/Nick Stachowiak (DU) def. BARAN,Amit/JUEZ TORRES,Pablo (NCCU) 6-4
3. Spencer Furman/Robert Levine (DU) vs. SPYROPOULOS,Thanos/DAGKLIS,Christos (NCCU) 4-5, unfinished
N.C. Central 4-12
Duke 11-13; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,3,2)