Marist Women’s Tennis Drops MAAC Final To Fairfield
WEST WINDSOR, N.J. - The second-seeded Marist women's tennis team lost to top-seeded Fairfield 4- in the final of the 2012 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Women's Tennis Championship on Sunday at Mercer County Park.
Marist began the match strong by winning two out of three matches to capture the doubles point. The first doubles tandem of junior Kelsey Raynor (Garden City, N.Y.) and senior Erin McCarthy (Salem, N.J.) prevailed at first doubles, 8-4. At third doubles, junior Joana Sun (Gales Ferry, Conn.) and sophomore Marielle Campbell (Patterson, N.Y.) won their match 8-4.
However, Fairfield rebounded strong at singles to win all four matches before the match was stopped at the point when the Stags clinched the championship.
Marist finished its season at 10-8, and appeared in the MAAC Championship final for the seventh time in the last eight years.
1. Monica Yajima (FFD) def. Kelsey Raynor (MAR) 6-1, 6-2
2. Sharissa Ryan (FFD) def. Erin McCarthy (MAR) 7-5, 6-2
3. Allison Radde (FFD) vs. Joana Sun (MAR) unfinished
4. Carolina Koladzyn (FFD) vs. Marielle Campbell (MAR) unfinished
5. Victoria Pirrello (FFD) def. Sabrina Tahir (MAR) 6-3, 6-1
6. Nikki Jackson (FFD) def. Kayla O'Donovan (MAR) 6-3, 6-4
Doubles competitionJoana Sun/Marielle Campbell (MAR) def. Victoria Pirrello/Nikki Jackson (FFD) 8-4