The University of Richmond, Va. - The Spiders defeated George Mason University, 4-3, on Wednesday.
Richmond started the match aggressively to win two doubles matches. Sebastien Faucht and Jesse Feder defeated Jordan Dyke and Jimmy Davis in the No. 1 doubles position. Ethan Dunbar and Paul Nahon III secured the double point with a 9-7 win over Taylor Sargent and Chris Borden.
In singles play, red-shirt freshman Ethan Dunbar downed Jordan Dyke, 7-5, 7-6(3). Junior Jesse Feder earned a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Jorge Osuna. Freshman Paul Nahon III sealed the deal by defeating Taylor Sargent 6-1, 6-2.
"I feel we had a much more daunting task in facing George Mason this year," says Jesse Feder. "With the few new transfers they acquired, we knew heading into the match, it was going to be a battle. From top to bottom, it was close and everyone put in the effort asked of them. I believe beating a resurgent team, who desperately wanted to avenge their previous losses to us, never felt more gratifying. With this win, we will go into our last remaining matches with more confidence and a stronger belief that victory is attainable."
Richmond continues play at home on Friday afternoon against Norfolk State.
Richmond 4, George Mason 3
1. Fauchet/Feder (UR) def. Dyke/Davis (GM), 8-6
2. Keaton/Wiggins (GM) def. Wicker/Trent (UR), 8-4
3. Dunbar/Nahon (UR) def. Sargent/Borden (GM), 9-7
1. Ethan Dunbar (UR) def. Jordan Dyke (GM), 7-5, 7-6(3)
2. Jimmy Davis (GM) def. Sebastien Fauchet (UR), 6-3, 4-6, 2-0(ret)
3. Jesse Feder (UR) def. Jorge Osuna (GM), 6-2, 6-3
4. Scott Keaton (GM) def. Aaron Wicker (UR), 6-4, 6-1
5. Paul Nahon III (UR) def. Taylor Sargent (GM), 6-1, 6-2
6. Joe Wiggins (GM) def. Dylan Trent (UR), 7-6(1), 6-4