Zags Fall To Broncos In First Round Of WCC Championships
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Madeline Parker and Prue Teitzel earned a win in doubles, but the No. 8 seed Gonzaga University women's tennis team suffered a 4-0 loss to No. 5 seed Santa Clara University in the first round of the West Coast Conference Championships Wednesday afternoon.
The Bulldogs finished the season 9-12 overall and had five players post more than 10 wins in singles play. Kylie Peek led the group with 17 victories while the veteran Kristina Zauere finished behind the rookie with 16. Britta Stime had an impressive performance during her junior campaign as she posted 12 wins while senior Sophie Lantta and freshman Katie Edwards collected 11 and 10 victories, respectively.
Zauere led the effort in doubles throughout the 2011-12 year, posting 19 wins with three different partners. Zauere earned ten wins with Edwards, eight with Prue Teitzel and one with an athlete from another institution during the fall season.
Wednesday's match also marked the final for Zauere, Lantta and Madeline Parker. The three seniors played helped Gonzaga clinch three 10-win seasons during their tenure.
"We will miss Kristina, Sophie and Madeline. They have been a vital part of our team for the past four years," Bulldogs head coach D.J. Gurule said. "They have each helped to define what it means to be a Zag! I am very honored to have been able to coach them throughout their college careers.
The Bulldogs played three hard-fought doubles matches but couldn't come up with wins to clinch the lone point. Teitzel and Parker picked up an 8-6 win at No. 3 doubles, but the tandem of Peek and Lantta dropped an 8-5 decision at the No. 2 spot while Edwards and Zauere were defeated 8-4 at No. 1.
In singles play, Zauere dropped a 6-3, 6-1 decision on court two, Edwards dropped a 6-0, 6-2 decision on court two and Teitzel fell 6-0, 6-1 on court one.
"Unfortunately we ran into a very strong team in Santa Clara today. I am very proud of this team and have been fortunate to have coached them this year," Gurule said.
The All-WCC teams will be announced later this week.
SANTA CLARA BRONCOS 4, GONZAGA BULLDOGS 0
1. LE, Katie (SCU) def. TEITZEL, Prue (GON) 6-0, 6-1
2. ZANIEWSKI, Alex (SCU) def. ZAUERE, Kristina (GON) 6-3, 6-1
3. LAMBLE, Kelly (SCU) def. EDWARDS, Katie (GON) 6-0, 6-2
4. PEEK, Kylie (GON) vs. WAGNER, Kacie (SCU) unfinished
5. LANTTA, Sophie (GON) vs. AGRA, Jessica (SCU) unfinished
6. STIME, Britta (GON) vs. SKARAS, Stephanie (SCU) unfinished
1. LE, Katie/AGRA, Jessica (SCU) def. EDWARDS, Katie/ZAUERE, Kristina (GON) 8-4
2. LAMBLE, Kelly/WAGNER, Kacie (SCU) def. PEEK, Kylie/LANTTA, Sophie (GON) 8-5
3. PARKER, Madeline/TEITZEL, Prue (GON) def. WARLY, Brittany/SKARAS, Stephanie (SCU) 8-6
SANTA CLARA BRONCOS 12-10
GONZAGA BULLDOGS 9-12
Seeding: Gonzaga No. 8; Santa Clara No. 5