Women's Tennis Defeats UNO 6-1
OMAHA, Neb. -- The Creighton women's tennis team won its fourth straight match after defeating cross-town rival Nebraska Omaha 6-1 at the Hanscom Tennis Center Thursday afternoon.
The win also marked the third consecutive victory at home for Creighton (7-7). The Bluejays swept the doubles point from UNO (4-9) before taking five of six singles matches to claim the match victory. Four of those CU victories came in straight sets.
After jumping out to a 1-0 lead in the match, four Bluejays extended their season-long singles match wins streaks to four or five.
Snyder claimed her fifth straight victory to lead the Jays after a 6-3, 6-3 defeat over Matricardi at the No. 2 position. Snyder’s victory also claimed the team match point for Creighton.
Three other Bluejays won their fourth straight singles match on Thursday. Kirshenbaum was the first off the court after cruising to a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Hottman at the No. 3 position. At the top spot, Hartjes knocked off Tran 6-4, 6-1. Noonan clinched her fourth straight victory in three sets. She blanked Pierson 6-0 in set one before the Maverick won the second at 6-4. Noonan claimed a third-set superbreaker at 10-5 to claim the match.
Vermillion claimed her second straight singles victory at the No. 6 slot by defeating Weideman 6-1, 6-2.
UNO’s only point came in the final match of the day as Baude dealt Anderson a 7-5, 6-4 setback.
Creighton returns to action with an MVC road match at Drake slated for Saturday, April 6 at 2 p.m. CT.
Tennis Match Results
Omaha vs. Creighton
Mar 28, 2013 at Hanscom Tennis Center
Creighton 6, Omaha 1
1. Jennie Hartjes (CU) def. Alex Tran (UNO) 6-4, 6-1
2. Analese Snyder (CU) def. Molly Matricardi (UNO) 6-3, 6-3
3. Anna Kirshenbaum (CU) def. Tiffany Hottman (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
4. Jacqueline Baude (UNO) def. Sam Anderson (CU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Amanda Noonan (CU) def. Rachel Pierson (UNO) 6-0, 4-6, 10-5
6. Liz Vermillion (CU) def. Lindsay Weideman (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 6, 2*, 1, 5, 4
1. Kirshenbaum/Snyder (CU) def. Tran/Hottman (UNO) 8-4
2. Hartjes/Noonan (CU) def. Matricardi/Baude (UNO) 8-1
3. Anderson/Vermillion (CU) def. Pierson/Weideman (UNO) 8-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1