Men's Tennis Falls at Marquette 6-1
MILWAUKEE – The Creighton men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to Marquette in its first BIG EAST conference road match at the Golden Eagles’ Helfaer Tennis Stadium Friday evening.
Creighton (10-7, 0-2 BIG EAST) won the doubles point to open the match and take a 1-0 lead over Marquette (14-8, 3-0 BIG EAST) but the Golden Eagles swept all six singles matches to claim the match.
CU senior Billy Paluch and freshman partner Jake Norman claimed an 8-4 victory at No. 1 doubles over Vukasin Teofanovic and Dan Mamalat of Marquette. After MU tied it with an 8-6 win on court two, CU sophomores Quinn Dippel and Nick Thompson knocked of the Golden Eagle duo of Mackenzie Stearns and Cameron Tehrani 8-5 to claim first the team point on court three.
Freshman Aaron Chalstrom was the only Bluejay to win a set, going the distance against MU’s Kristiyan Trukov on singles court five. Chalstrom cruised to a first set win of 6-1 before Trukov answered in the second stanza at 6-1 to force a deciding set. Trukov claimed the third set 6-3 to finish the evening.
Paluch and Norman each fell in extra games in set two after dropping set one 6-1 on singles courts one and three, respectively. Marquette claimed the team match on court four with Tehrani topping Dippel 6-2, 6-3.
Creighton returns to action Saturday at 12:00 p.m. CT in Milwaukee against BIG EAST foe Butler in a neutral site match to close out the Jays’ regular season.
Creighton at Marquette
Apr. 18, 2014 at Milwaukee, Wis.
(Helfaer Tennis Stadium)
Marquette 6, Creighton 1
1. Dan Mamalat (MU) def. Billy Paluch (CU) 6-1, 7-6
2. Vukasin Teofanovic (MU) def. Elliott Baker (CU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Logon Collins (MU) def. Jake Norman (CU) 6-1, 7-6
4. Cameron Tehrani (MU) def. Quinn Dippel (CU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kristiyan Trukov (MU) def. Aaron Chalstrom (CU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Gleb Sklyr (MU) def. August Nysted (CU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Paluch/Norman (CU) def. Teofanovic/Mamalat (MU) 8-4
2. Collins/Trukov (MU) def. Nysted/Baker (CU) 8-6
3. Dippel/Nick Thompson (CU) def. Mackenzie Stearns/Tehrani (MU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,6,1,4*,3,5)