Student-Athlete Development ::: Community Service ::: Read With The Blue Devils
Read With the Blue Devils
The Read With The Blue Devils program is intended to aid area teachers by providing reading incentives for third and fourth graders in Durham. By reading for 15 minutes for 12 nights, a youngster is able to reach various levels and earn Blue Devil gifts along the way. Among the prizes given out are autographed team photos, posters, t-shirts and chances to meet Duke student-athletes at various functions.
The goals of the program have remained the same since its inception:
- Encourage young kids to read at an early age.
- Rach at-risk youngsters to provide positive reinforcement and enhance their chance for success.
- Show children that reading can be fun.
- Provide incentives to get children to learn goal-setting skills, attain levels of achievement and improve reading skills and habits.
- Reach teachers and parents to provide support to kids by encouraging reading.
Past Stories and Articles
- Oct. 25, 2006 - Cross Country, Track and Swim Team Members Participate In Read With The Blue Devils
- Oct. 10, 2006 - Men's Hoops Wraps Up Ready With The Blue Devil Visits
- Sept. 23, 2006 - Duke Gets 15th Year Of Read With The Blue Devils Off To Fantastic Start
- April 26, 2006 - Duke Successfully Completes 14th Year Of Read With The Blue Devils
- Nov. 17, 2004 - Duke Student-Athletes Make A Difference Through Read With The Blue Devils