SAN JOSE, Calif. (April 4) - The New Mexico State women's tennis team fell 4-3 in a tight conference match at San Jose State Wednesday afternoon at the Spartan Tennis Complex.
San Jose State (12-3, 2-0 WAC) snapped the Aggies' (9-6, 1-2) two-match win streak while extending its own win streak to 11. NM State has now won eight of its last 11 matches heading into Thursday afternoon's match at Santa Clara.
The Spartans opened the match by winning the doubles point and taking two out of three matches on courts one and three. The Aggie tandem of junior Ginet Pinero and sophomore Ros-Polly Nguyen won 8-5 on court two.
The WAC foes split the six singles matches evenly, all decided in straight sets. NM State took home victories at the Nos. 1, 4 and 6 spots.
Again the senior co-captains led the Aggies in the match. Manon Sylvain won at No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-4 to claim a point. Classmate Natalia Salum improved to 11-3 this season in singles, cruising to a 6-3, 6-1 victory at the No. 4 spot.
Nguyen posted the other point for NM State on the day at the No. 6 spot with a 6-2, 6-3 victory. But SJSU notched victories in the other three matches to pull out the match win.
The Aggies wrap up their 2012 road schedule at Santa Clara Thursday, at 3 p.m.
For all of the latest Aggie women's tennis news, click NMStateSports.com.
New Mexico State at San Jose State
Apr 4, 2012 at San Jose, Calif.
Spartan Tennis Complex
San Jose State 4, New Mexico State 3
1. Sylvain, Manon (NMSU) def. Truong, Chau (SJSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Leon Chao, Sabastian (SJSU) def. Van Der Ben, Denise (NMSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Medlin, Erica (SJSU) def. Pinero, Ginet (NMSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Salum, Natalia (NMSU) def. Willett, Jessica (SJSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Busch, Isadora (SJSU) def. Witte, Annemieke (NMSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Nguyen, Ros-Polly (NMSU) def. Marquez, Alexis (SJSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Leon Chao/Medlin (SJSU) def. Salum/Sylvain (NMSU) 8-4
2. Nguyen/Pinero (NMSU) def. Truong/Marquez (SJSU) 8-5
3. Busch/Willett (SJSU) def. Witte/Van Der Ben (NMSU) 8-5