Are you a Booster?
You are a Booster or a Representative of Athletics Interest if you:
• Are of have ever been a member of a booster organization that supports UTC Athletics;
• Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or a booster organization;
• Are or have ever been involved with the recruitment of a prospect;
• Have provided or are providing benefits to an enrolled student-athlete or their relatives or friends;
• Have otherwise been involved in promoting The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's athletic program (e.g., alumni and friends);
• Provide or have helped to arrange employment for student-athletes;
• Are the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of an enrolled student-athlete;
• Are or ever have been a season ticket holder. Is it possible to be become a booster without doing anything listed above?
Yes. The NCAA has developed a four-part test to determine whether or not an individual has become a booster and/or provided a student-athlete, their relatives or friends with an impermissible benefit. If any of the following statements are true then providing benefits to prospects or student-athletes, their relatives and friends can result in the student-athlete being rendered ineligible and cause the individual providing the benefit to be classified as a booster.
1. The relationship between the student-athlete (or parents of the student-athlete) and the individual providing the benefits developed as a result of the student-athlete's participation in athletics or their reputation as an athlete; or
2. The relationship began only after the athlete became a prospect; or
3. The relationship began only after the athlete had achieved notoriety due to his or her athletic ability or reputation; or
4. The pattern of giving and/or frequency of giving increased after the athlete attained notoriety as a skilled athlete (e.g., purchased small gifts in the past and now purchases a television or other large gift).
Once A Booster ... Always A Booster. According to the NCAA, once an individual has been identified as a booster, he or she retains this identity forever.