Cyclones Dropped 5-2 By No. 41 Oklahoma State
STILLWATER, Okla. - The Iowa State tennis team fell Saturday afternoon against the No. 41 Oklahoma State. Dropping the match 5-2, Iowa State's record moves to 3-14 overall and 0-4 Big 12. The Cowgirls, with a weekend sweep following Friday's win over Missouri, sit at 10-3 overall and 4-1 in league play.
OSU controlled all three doubles contests, securing a 1-0 lead going into singles competition. Iowa State got on the board after freshman Meghan Cassens' default win over Kanyapat Narattana at No. 4, bringing the match score to 2-1.
The match was clinched by the Cowgirls after an OSU victory at No. 2 singles when Cyclone Ksenia Pronina fell in straight sets to Malika Rose. The Cyclones were outscored 4-1 at that point, but the team went on to win one more competition on the day.
Iowa State senior Marie-Christine Chartier nabbed a big win at the No. 6 spot. She came back from a first-set loss to bring Isabela Miro into a 10-point tiebreaker after the match had already been decided in OSU's favor. Chartier went on to control the dual, winning 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6).
Chartier is at the top of Iowa State's roster with 12 singles wins this season, including two Big 12 victories.
The Cyclones have next weekend off from action, and will use the following week to prepare to host Missouri at 2:00 p.m. on April 7.
1. No. 114 C.C. Sardinha (OSU) def. Maria Fernan. Macedo (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Malika Rose (OSU) def. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Meghan Blevins (OSU) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (11-9)
4. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Kanyapat Narattana (OSU) 5-7, 2-0, retired
5. Mary Jeremiah (OSU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) def. Isabela Miro (OSU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
1. Kanyapat Narattana/Malika Rose (OSU) def. Maria Fernanda Macedo/Ksenia Pronina (ISU) 8-6
2. Meghan Blevins/Mary Jeremiah (OSU) def. Simona Cacciuttolo/Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 8-6
3. Isabela Miro/C.C. Sardinha (OSU) def. Marie-Christine Chartier/Tessa Lang (ISU) 8-4