By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer
TAMPA - The Bulls are playing pressure-free tennis and the mindset is definitely paying off.
USF swept doubles and carried the momentum into a dominant singles performance in a 7-0 victory over UCF on Thursday afternoon at the USF Varsity Courts.
"We knew this was going to be an in-state rivalry and they are going to be in our conference next year," USF head coach Don Barr said. "It's always been a battle with them and I'm glad our guys were ready for it."
Wael Kilani and Federico Sabogal breezed past Erik Brunskog and Juan Bolona, 8-4, while Guillermo De Vilchez and Lucas Marin-Salecedo had an even easier time in an 8-2 victory over Mario Samson and Matthew Gladstone.
USF already had the doubles point in hand, but was hungry for more when the No. 1 doubles team of Yannick Yoshizawa and Oliver Pramming dug deep to defeat Mitch Thams and Joe Delinks, 9-7 (10-8).
"Whenever you win that doubles point it makes you relax a little bit. When you lose that doubles point no one can falter," Barr said. "It takes a lot of pressure off us."
The Bulls definitely looked locked in during singles play after a short break. USF got straight set wins by Kilani, Yoshizawa, Ravi Patel and Marin-Salcedo. Sabogal had a 6-4, 6-5 lead on Thams when UCF's No. 3 singles player was forced to retire with an injury. Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard had to work a little harder but still came through, like his other teammates, in a 7-6, 1-6, 10-5 victory over Bolona.
"It's great that we won the match, but more importantly we have to get stronger and better for conference," Barr said.
USF has won three of its past four matches and looks to keep rolling in the right direction at noon on Saturday when it hosts Illinois State back at the USF Varsity Courts.
USF 7, UCF 0
March 29, 2012
USF Varsity Courts
- Y. Yoshizawa/O. Pramming (USF) def. M. Thams/J. Delinks (UCF) 9-7 (10-8)
- W. Kilani/F. Sabogal (USF) def. E. Brunskog/J. Bolona (UCF) 8-4
- G. De Vilchez/L. Marin-Salcedo (USF) def. M. Samson/M. Gladstone (UCF) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Wael Kilani (USF) def. Jorge Blasco (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
- Yannick Yoshizawa (USF) def. Erik Brunskog (UCF) 6-3, 6-3
- Federico Sabogal (USF) def. Mitch Thams (UCF) 6-4, 6-5
- Juan Carlos Acuna Gerard (USF) def. Juan Bolona (UCF) 7-6, 1-6, 10-5
- Ravi Patel (USF) def. Mario Samson (UCF) 6-4, 6-1
- Lucas Marin-Salcedo (USF) def. Joe Delinks (UCF) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 5, 4, 3