• Duke earned its 18th berth in the NCAA Tournament and was selected as the No. 1 seed for the third time
• The Blue Devils host Air Force, champion of the ECAC ... The Falcons defeated Richmond 13-5 in the play-in game
• Air Force is making its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1988
The Series History
• Duke and Air Force have met six times – most recently being in 2007 ... The Blue Devils are 4-2 against the Falcons
• It is the first NCAA Tournament meeting between Duke and Air Force ... Duke is 2-0 against current ECAC squads in NCAA play
Tale Of The Tape
Duke by the Numbers
28-15 – Duke’s record in 17 NCAA Tournament appearances
13-4 – The Blue Devils’ record in NCAA Tournament first round games
3 – Times Duke has landed the No. 1 overall seed in the Tournament - 2007, 2008, 2014
13 – Wins for Duke for the eighth straight season, the only Division I team that will have achieved the feat in the past eight years
9 – Of the 18 teams in the NCAA Tournament field Duke faced in 2014, including all seven of the remaining seeded teams
16 – Straight wins for Duke at home dating back to March 2, 2013
5 – Points Jordan Wolf needs to pass Zack Greer for the No. 2 spot on the Duke and ACC career points lists
281 – Career points for Jordan Wolf, third all-time in Duke and ACC history
433 – Career ground balls for Brendan Fowler, sixth all-time in NCAA history and 13 shy of moving into the No. 5 spot
6 - Where Duke ranks in all-time NCAA Tournament wins, tied with North Carolina with 28
14.50 – Goals per game for the Blue Devils, tops in the ACC and second nationally
8.75 – Air Force’s goals against average this season, allowing 10-plus goals just four times in 16 games
Scouting Air Force
Air Force earned its first berth in the NCAA Tournament since 1988 and third in program history ... The Falcons defeated Richmond 13-5 in one of the two play-in games Wednesday evening ... Mike Crampton had four goals and an assist and is the top scorer on the year with 45 goals and 62 points overall ... Keith Dryer has a team-best 31 assists and Tommy McKee has 30 goals ... Bryan Price and Erik Smith share faceoff duties ... Price has taken the majority – 111-of-232 for .478 – while Smith is winning 59 percent of his draws (76-of-128) ... Danny Brown and Kyle O’Brien headline the defensive effort with 16 caused turnovers apiece ... Doug Gouchoe and Brett Dadiego split goaltending duties ... Gouchoe has seven starts and a 9.15 goals against average and a .500 save percentage ... Dadiego owns nine starts, including the one against Richmond, with an 8.13 goals against average and a .510 save percentage.
About The Blue Devils
Duke heads in to the NCAA Tournament as the top seed ... The Blue Devils are 13-3 overall and 10-1 in the past 11 games ... Duke features a high-powered offense that averages 14.50 goals per game ... Jordan Wolf headlines the offense with 51 goals and 80 points overall, while sophomore Deemer Class is having a breakout season with 56 points (31g, 25a) ... Josh Dionne has had a quietly productive year with 43 goals and Myles Jones has contributed 42 points ... The close defense of Chris Hipps, Henry Lobb and Casey Carroll anchor Duke’s defensive charge with Carroll sporting 19 caused turnovers and 41 ground balls ... Brendan Fowler leads the faceoff game with a 239-159 record (.601) and 151 ground balls ... Will Haus is a force on the faceoff wing and at defensive midfield with 37 ground balls and eight goals ... In goal, Luke Aaron is 12-3 with a .529 save percentage and a 9.59 goals against average ... Duke is 9-0 at home this season and has not lost at Koskinen since March 2, 2013.
Duke and Air Force share two common opponents in Denver and Jacksonville ... The Blue Devils went 2-0 against those teams, while the Falcons went 1-1.
NCAA Tournament Notes
• Duke is making its 18th appearance in the NCAA Tournament and eighth consecutive
• The Blue Devils are 28-15 all-time in the NCAA Tournament with the 28 wins tied for sixth among Division I teams ... Duke is 13-4 in first-round games
• Duke earned the top seed for the third time – also in 2007 and 2008 – and is 5-2 as the No. 1 seed ... The Blue Devils have earned a top-eight seed in 16 of their 18 NCAA Tournament appearances – 1994 (8), 1995 (5), 1997 (5), 1998 (7), 1999 (4), 2000 (7), 2002 (7) and 2005 (2), 2007 (1), 2008 (1), 2009 (3), 2010 (5), 2011 (5), 2012 (3), 2013 (7) and 2014 (1)
• Duke has advanced to championship weekend in each of the previous seven seasons and nine times overall
• Duke has played nine of the 18 teams in the tournament, going 7-3 overall ... The Blue Devils have played each of the other top eight seeds
• Duke has won 22 of its past 28 NCAA playoff games, with three of the losses coming against Johns Hopkins in the 2005 and 2007 title games and the 2008 semifinals
• Overall, the Blue Devils are 23-6 in NCAA action
when scoring at least 10 goals and 1-9 when held to single digits
• Duke is one of seven schools with more tournament wins than postseason appearances (Cornell, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Maryland, Princeton, Syracuse & Virginia)
• Duke’s 12 NCAA Tournament wins since 2010 are the most of any program in that span ... Three other programs have seven
Home Sweet Home
Duke has fared well at home under head coach John Danowski ... The Blue Devils are 77-9 at home since 2007 ... This year’s senior class is 38-4 all-time in home games, including a 9-0 mark this season ... Duke has won 16 straight home games with the last loss coming March 2, 2013 against Maryland.
A Win Over Air Force Would
• Give Duke 14 wins for the eighth straight season
• Be the program’s 29th NCAA Tournament victory
• Make Duke 60-58-1 all-time in the month of May
• Give John Danowski his 344th career victory, 125th at Duke and 24th in the NCAA Tournament
• Be the program’s 505th victory
Duke In The Month Of May
Duke is 59-58-1 all-time in the month of May ... The Blue Devils are 25-5 in the fifth month of the year under head coach John Danowski with all five setbacks coming in either the NCAA semifinals or NCAA Championship game.
Wolf Named Tewaaraton Finalist
Senior Jordan Wolf was selected as one of five finalists for the Tewaaraton Award presented to the nation’s top lacrosse player ... Sophomores Deemer Class and Myles Jones joined Wolf on the 28-player nominee list.
Wolf Scores In Bunches
Wolf has scored in bunches throughout his career ... The Wynnewood, Pa., native has at least seven points in six games this season to rank third among all Division I players ... Only Lyle and Miles Thompson of Albany have more – 10 and 8, respectively ... Wolf has four games with eight points and nine with at least five.
The winner of Sunday’s game advances to the quarterfinals hosted by the University of Delaware to take on the winner of the Johns Hopkins – Virginia game … Those quarterfinal games are set for May 18 at Delaware at noon and 2:30 p.m.