Broncos Edged Out By Spartans
The Broncos trailed 1-0 after the doubles point and dropped the first singles point of the match; however, the Broncos battled back against the Spartans and tied the score at 2-2 with a pair of singles wins. Maria Nivia was the first to strike against Michigan State, downing Julianne Gruber 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 5 singles match. Meanwhile, sophomore Nini Sujashvili recorded a huge win in No. 1 singles play, defeating the Spartans' Nicole Herzog handily by a 6-4, 6-1 score.
However, the Spartans would give themselves a 3-2 lead when Katarina Lingl defeated Katherine Hawkins 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 4 singles match, and would clinch the overall match victory when Olga Chernova outlasted Maggie Remynse with a 6-3, 7-6 (10-8) win in the No. 2 singles match.
Freshman Caroline Aleck would win her sixth singles match in her last eight outings by taking the No. 6 singles, beating the Spartans' Dana Guentert 6-2, 6-7, 3-1 before Guentert pulled out of the match. The reigning MAC Player of the Week, Aleck has won four straight singles matches.
Aleck would also continue her considerable success in doubles play while teamed with April Kerr; the duo won for the sixth time in their last eight matches when they downed Gruber and Marina Bohrer 8-7 in the No. 2 doubles match.
Michigan State 4, Western Michigan 3
1. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Nicole Herzog (MSU): 6-4, 6-1
2. Olga Chernova (MSU) Maggie Remynse (WMU): 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
3. Marina Bohrer (MSU) def. Rachel Denny (WMU): 6-3, 6-3
4. Katarina Lingl def. (MSU) Kathleen Hawkins (WMU): 6-4, 6-2
5. Maria Nivia (WMU) def. Julianne Gruber (MSU): 6-4, 6-3
6. Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Dana Guentert (MSU): 6-3, 6-7, 3-1 ret.
Order of finish: 3, 5,1,4,2*,6
1. Herzog/Lingl (MSU) def. Sujashvili/Hawkins (WMU): 8-1
2. Aleck/Kerr (WMU) def. Bohrer/Gruber (MSU) : 8-7
3. Guentert/Hager (MSU) def. Remynse/Nivia (WMU): 8-1