Date: Tuesday, April 24
Time: 3 p.m.
Site: Canal Park (Akron, Ohio)
Probable Starters: RHP Rohn Pierce (2-3, 5.09 ERA) vs. RHP Myles McVeigh (0-2, 7.58 ERA)
- The Canisius College baseball team heads to Akron, Ohio for a non-conference game with the University of Akron at Canal Park on Tuesday afternoon.
- The game is being played at Canal Park, the home of the Akron Aeros - the Double-A affiliate of the Cleveland Indians.
- Canisius enters Tuesday's game with a 21-21 overall record and is 8-4 in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference standings. The Golden Griffins are tied with Manhattan for first place in the conference standings.
- Canisius dropped two of three games in a weekend series with Manhattan. The Golden Griffins lost a home MAAC series for just the fourth time in the last 22 home MAAC series.
- Canisius is 13-17 in non-conference play this season.
- Akron is the third Mid-American Conference for Canisius this season. The Griffs took three of four meetings with Buffalo while Miami (Ohio) swept a two-game midweek series over Spring Break.
- The teams are meeting for the 32nd time. Akron holds a 23-8 lead in the all-time series.
- Tuesday's game is the first matchup since the 2002 season. The Zips swept a doubleheader — 9-6 and 2-1 — at the Demske Sports Complex on April 10, 2002.
- Canisius coach Mike McRae is in his eighth season with the Golden Griffins. McRae has a 210-216 overall record at Canisius and a 163-111 (.595) record since the start of the 2008 season.
- McRae won his 200th game with Canisius in the 7-3 win in the second game of the March 23 doubleheader against Siena.
- McRae has led the Golden Griffins to the postseason in each of the last five seasons. The program advanced to the championship round of the MAAC Tournament in 2009 and 2010 — the first appearances in program history.
- Canisius has 163 wins since the start of the 2008 season, ranking third among Division I teams in the Northeast region. The Golden Griffins only trail Connecticut (179) and St. John's (176).
- Canisius was projected first in a tight MAAC preseason coaches poll. The Griffs received 61 of a possible 90 points, followed by Rider (60), Manhattan (59), Iona (56) and Marist (53).
- Senior Drew Pettit and sophomore Jose Torralba were named to the preseason All-MAAC team in February.
- Akron is 16-24 on the season and 9-6 in the Mid-American Conference. The Zips won two of three games at Western Michigan last weekend.
- Akron is 6-3 at home this season and will be playing its 10th game of the season at Canal Park.
- Akron has a team batting average of .261, a team fielding percentage of .957 and a team earned run average of 4.94.
- Tuesday's starter Myles McVeigh is 0-2 in four starts with a 7.58 ERA.
- Tyler Begun is hitting .338 with a team-high five home runs and 22 RBI.