Dates: Saturday, April 21 (DH) — 2 p.m. and Sunday, April 22 (Noon)
Site: Demske Sports Complex (Buffalo, N.Y.)
Game 1 - RHP Garrett Cortright (4-4, 4.24 ERA) vs. RHP John Soldinger (2-4, 3.39 ERA)
Game 2 - RHP Devon Stewart (3-1, 3.53 ERA) vs. RHP Michael Scarinci (3-3, 5.85 ERA)
Game 3 - RHP Billy Martin (3-3, 5.66 ERA) vs. RHP Scott McClennan (2-3, 5.63 ERA)
- After an eight-game road stretch, the Canisius College baseball team returns to the Demske Sports Complex to host Manhattan College for a three-game series this weekend.
- The Golden Griffins are in first place in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference standings at 7-2 in league play. The Jaspers are in second place at 8-4.
- Canisius and Manhattan have combined to win the last four MAAC regular-season titles. Manhattan leads the league with a .755 winning percentage (80-26) in that span while Canisius is second at .709 (73-30).
- Manhattan leads the all-time series 31-19. Manhattan won both regular-season games last season as the third game was cancelled. Canisius has won five of the last six between the teams in the Demske Sports Complex.
- The teams have met in the postseason each of the last four years. Manhattan defeated Canisius 3-2 in the first round of the 2011 MAAC Championship. Canisius defeated Manhattan twice in 2010 and once in 2009 and 2008, eliminating the Jaspers in each of those three years.
- Canisius is 27-8 in MAAC series during the past four-plus seasons, including 12 three-game sweeps and one two-game sweep.
- Canisius is 8-2 at home this season, including 5-1 in MAAC play.
- In their last 81 home games, the Golden Griffins are 61-20 at the Demske Sports Complex.
- Canisius has won 18 of its last 21 home conference series and 30 of its last 36 MAAC games at home.
- Canisius coach Mike McRae is in his eighth season at Canisius, and has a 209-214 record with the Golden Griffins, including 162-109 (.598) since the start of the 2008 season. He is a three-time MAAC Coach of the Year, including 2008 and 2010 with the Golden Griffins.
- McRae won his 200th game with Canisius in the 7-3 win in the second game of the March 23 doubleheader against Siena.
- McRae has led the Golden Griffins to the postseason in each of the last five seasons. The program advanced to the championship round of the MAAC Tournament in 2009 and 2010 -- the first appearances in program history.
- Canisius has 162 wins since the start of the 2008 season, ranking third among Division I teams in the Northeast region. The Golden Griffins only trail Connecticut (177) and St. John’s (173).
- Canisius was projected first in a tight MAAC preseason coaches poll. The Griffs received 61 of a possible 90 points, followed by Rider (60), Manhattan (59), Iona (56) and Marist (53).
- Senior Drew Pettit and sophomore Jose Torralba were named to the preseason all-MAAC team in February.
- Manhattan comes to Western New York with a 17-19 overall record and 8-4 record in the MAAC. The Jaspers have won 13 of their last 15 games.
- The Jaspers are 12-0 at home this season and 5-19 away from Van Cortlandt Park.
- The Jaspers have swept home series from Iona and Niagara while losing two out of three in road series with Marist and Rider.
- Manhattan has a team batting average of .275, team ERA of 5.04 and a team fielding percentage of .968.
- Anthony Vega leads the team with a .353 batting average and is 21-for-22 on stolen-base attempts. Ramon Ortega has a team-high five homers and 33 RBI.
- 2011 MAAC Pitcher of the Year John Soldinger is 2-4 with a 3.39 ERA. Jacob Marchus is 1-0 with three saves and a 2.45 ERA in 10 relief appearances.
- Entering the week, Manhattan is fourth in the MAAC in batting average (.271), third in ERA (5.16) and first in fielding percentage (.968).
NOTING THE GRIFFS
- Canisius relievers have stranded 25 of 34 inherited runners in the last 15 games.
- Canisius relievers have retired the first batter in 14 of their last 18 appearances (77.8 percent) and in 26 of their last 35 appearances (74.3 percent).
- Entering the week, sophomore Shane Zimmer ranks 10th nationally in walks and 23rd in on-base percentage.
- Sophomore Jesse Kelso is 36th nationally with four triples, and Canisius ranks 48th in the country with 12 triples as a team.
- Junior Chris Gruarin entered the week 42nd in the country in runs scored.
- Sophomore Ronnie Bernick is 31st in the country in hit by pitch per game (0.39), and Canisius ranks 59th in the country with 47 HBP.
- Sophomore Ryan Coppinger has at least one hit, one run scored and one RBI in each of the last five games, the first Griffs to accomplish that feat since Brian Burton’s five-game streak from May 20-27, 2010.
- Canisius is also 20th in the country in sacrifice bunts (44).
- Canisius has used 39 different batting orders in 39 games this season.
- Entering the week, Canisius is second in the MAAC in batting average (.281), fourth in ERA (5.36) and tied for second in fielding percentage (.966).
- Canisius leads the MAAC in stolen bases (50) and is tied for first in on-base percentage (.379).
- The Golden Griffins average 4.11 walks per game, .51 walks more than any other team.
- The Griffs allow a league-low 3.50 walks per game.
- Canisius has allowed three stolen bases in the last 17 games after allowing 28 stolen bases in the opening 22 games.
- Canisius has allowed nine runs in the first inning of the last five games after allowing three runs in the first inning of the opening 34 games.