AT A GLANCE
Dates: Sept. 14-15, 2012
Course: Bucknell Golf Course - Lewisburg, Pa.
Course Info: Par 70 - 6,224 Yards
The Field: Canisius, Bucknell (Orange), Bucknell (Blue), Colgate, Hampton, Laval, Lehigh and Messiah.
GOLF TEAM HEADS TO BUCKNELL THIS WEEKEND
- The Canisius College golf team returns to action Sept. 14-15 at the annual Bucknell Invitational at the Bucknell Golf Course in Lewisburg, Pa.
- The Golden Griffins have taken part in this event in each of the last two years and were also in the field in 2009, where the squad placed second in the field behind the host Bisons.
- At least year's event, Canisius finished eighth in the field but senior Mike Spiotta took 11th overall with his 54-hole score of 293.
- Spiotta and fellow senior Michael Carrig each shot season-low rounds of 69 in the first round of the 2011 Bucknell Invitational.
CANISIUS WINS THIRD-STRAIGHT LITTLE THREE
- For the first time in program history, the Canisius golf team secured its third-straight Little Three Golf Championship Sept. 5, at Harvest Hill Golf Course in Orchard Park, N.Y., when the Blue and Gold posted a 36-hole score of 590, nine strokes better than rival St. Bonaventure.
- Canisius was led by seniors Michael Carrig and Mike Spiotta, who finished 1-2 in the final individual rankings. Carrig posted a two-round tally of 140, which was five strokes better than his teammate Spiotta.
- Freshman Hunter Sagar finished sixth in the field for the Griffs after he posted a two-round score of 151, highlighted by his career-low round of 73 in the afternoon session.
- St. Bonaventure took second for the third-straight year with its team score of 599, while Niagara took third with a score of 625.
- The Griffs had won back-to-back titles at the Little Three just one time before winning the 2009 and 2010 crowns, with their previous back-to-back victories coming during the 1956 and 1957 seasons.
CARRIG HAS A CAREER-BEST DAY AT LITTLE THREE
- Canisius senior Michael Carrig won the individual medalist honors at the 2012 Little Three Golf Championship Sept. 5, with his 36-hole score of 140, which was four-under par.
- The Buffalo, N.Y., native shot a career-low 67 in the first round of the Little Three Championship, which was the lowest round for a Canisius golfer since 2009 and also stands as a new course record at Harvest Hill.
- By winning the Little Three event, Carrig has earned an automatic berth into the 2013 Porter Cup, considered to be one of the top amateur golf tournaments in North America.
SPIOTTA EARNS ANOTHER TOP-FIVE FINISH
- Canisius senior Mike Spiotta shot a one-over par 145 at the Little Three Golf Championship Sept. 5, and earned a second-place finish, behind teammate Michael Carrig.
- Spiotta's second round was an even-par 72, which stands as his best round this season. His 36-hole tally of 145 is a new career low as well.
- The Batavia, N.Y., native has played in 27 career events entering this weekend's action at Bucknell, which is the most for any Canisius golfer on the active roster. He also leads the roster with four career top-five finishes.