Lady Bulldog Tennis Blanks UNO 7-0 To Complete 2-0 Road Trip
NEW ORLEANS, La. - Mississippi State's women's tennis team completed a 2-0 week in the Crescent City Friday, notching a 7-0 sweep against the Lady Privateers of the University of New Orleans. The win was preceded by a 4-3 victory against No. 52 Tulane on Tuesday.
MSU improved to 6-7 overall with the victory. UNO fell to 7-2. State is now 5-0 all time against the Privateers.
The Lady Bulldogs took control of Friday's match early by posting victories at all three doubles positions. The sweep began with an 8-3 win on court one as Alexandra Perper and Naomi Tran took down Marta Sans and Manuela Gomez of UNO. Ekaterina Iakovleva and Olesya Tsigvintseva continued the trend with an 8-1 victory against Fanny Benincasa and Juliet Labarthe at the No. 2 position. Petra Ferancova and Roseline Dion paired up to notch a third Bulldog victory, defeating Sofija Karalic and Kristina Martic 8-3 on court three.
State did not let up in singles, winning five first sets to cruise to the team victory. The sophomore Dion kicked off singles play with a 6-1, 6-0 triumph against Karalic on court six. MSU maintained command of singles competition as Ferancova executed a quick 6-0, 6-1 victory against Gomez at the No. 5 position.
Tran clinched the match for Mississippi State, taking down Benincasa in a 6-1, 6-1 decision on court four.
Iakovleva followed suit, putting the Lady Bulldogs up 5-0 with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph from the No. 3 position. On court one, Perper was able to hold off Sans' efforts and take the first set 6-4. Perper dominated the second set, taking the match 6-4, 6-0.
The final point for MSU came from the No. 2 position. State's Tsigvintseva fell 6-3 in the first set against UNO's Martic, but was able to rebound with a 6-3 victory in the second set. Tsigvintseva was then able to secure the win by posting a 10-2 victory in the deciding 10-point tiebreaker.
The Lady Bulldogs will return to their home courts at 2 p.m. Friday, March 23, as they resume conference play against the second-ranked Lady Gators of Florida.
MISSISSIPPI STATE 7, NEW ORLEANS 0
March 16, 2012 - New Orleans, La.
1) Alexandra Perper/Naomi Tran (MSU) def. Marta Sans/Manuela Gomez (UNO) 8-3
2) Ekaterina Iakovleva/Olesya Tsiqvintseva (MSU) def. Fanny Benincasa/Juliet Labarthe (UNO) 8-1
3) Roseline Dion/Petra Ferancova (MSU) def. Sofija Karalic/Kristina Martic (UNO) 8-3
1) #119 Alexandra Perper (MSU) def. Marta Sans (UNO) 6-4, 6-0
2) Olesya Tsiqvintseva (MSU) def. Kristina Martic (UNO) 3-6,6-3,1-0 (10-2)
3) Ekaterina Iakovleva (MSU) def. Juliet Labarthe (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
4) Naomi Tran (MSU) def. Fanny Benincasa (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
5) Petra Ferancova (MSU) def. Manuela Gomez (UNO) 6-0, 6-1
6) Roseline Dion (MSU) def. Sofija Karalic (UNO) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3), Singles (6,5,4,3,1,2)