2011-12 CHATTANOOGA MOCS BASKETBALL PREVIEW
CHATTANOOGA (10-17/4-10) at APP STATE (10-15/6-9)
Game No. 28 | Feb. 15, 2012 | 7 p.m. | Holmes Center (8,325)
Listen to "Voice of the Mocs" Jim Reynolds' call on ESPN 105.1 FM in Chattanooga, pregame show begins 30 minutes prior to game time. Live audio (free) available via MocsVision on GoMocs.com where you can find live stats link as well.
- ALL SOCON GAMES: BI-LO is partnering with the Chattanooga Mocs to offer the BI-LO BOGO promotion for SoCon games this season. Just show your BI-LO Bonus Card at the ticket gate on game day for a Mocs SoCon game to buy one ticket and get one free.
- SOCON SATURDAY GAMES: SoCon Saturday package includes ticket and food for each Saturday league game throughout the season. It includes one reserved ticket and a food voucher for a small coke, popcorn and pizza all for $10. Ticket package must be purchased in advance by calling 266-MOCS (6627) or by visiting the UTC Gate One Ticket Office or online at GoMocs.com using "Saturday" promo code in ADVANCE of game day.
- ALL GAMES: There is a special code to use in purchasing single game tickets. Fans can buy general admission tickets for just $4 when using the promo code ITSTIME when buying on GoMocs.com and printing the tickets at home. Offer expires 2 hours before tipoff of the game in question.
ABOUT APPALACHIAN STATE
- 72nd meeting, 61st in league play...Mocs lead 42-29 ...34-26 all-time in regular-season SoCon play...series began in 1977-78, UTC's first year in the SoCon.
- 42 wins against the Mountaineers is the 5th most against SoCon members and tied for sixth against all schools.
- App State is 10-15, 6-9 in SoCon North...leads league in blocked shots at 4.0 per game...Andre Williamson leads individually with 1.5 bpg.
- Omar Carter leads ASU at 12.1 points and 6.0 rebounds per game...Jamaal Trice adds 10.3 ppg shooting 38.1 percent (40-105) from 3pt range...Andre Williamson leads in rebounding at 6.9 boards per contest while chipping in 9.8 points per game.
- ASU shoots 43.8 percent from the field including 35.0 percent from beyond the arc and 64.2 percent from the charity stripe.
01/07/12 7:05 p.m. at The McKenzie Arena (Chattanooga, Tenn.)
CHATTANOOGA 65, APPALACHIAN STATE 63
APPALACHIAN STATE (6-8, 2-2 SoCon)
HAMILTON, Tab 8-14 0-1 22; CARTER, Omar 8-20 2-4 19; NEAL, Mike 4-10 0-0 8; TRICE, Jamaal 2-7 1-2 7; WILLIAMSON, Andre 2-4 1-2 5; VILARINO, G.J. 1-3 0-0 2; HAUSLEY, Petey 0-2 0-0 0; WOODS, Mitch 0-1 0-0 0; HEALY, Nathan 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 25-62 4-9 63.
CHATTANOOGA (8-9, 2-2 SoCon)
TAYLOR, Ricky 7-15 3-3 19; BURROUGHS, Jahmal 5-6 1-2 11; ZLOVARIC, Drazen 4-7 3-4 11; MASON, Z. 1-3 5-7 7; HAMPTON, Dontay 2-4 2-4 6; STOKES, Lance 2-3 0-0 4; BELL, Keegan 1-13 0-0 3; BRYANT, Jared 1-1 0-1 2; WHITE, Ronrico 0-1 2-4 2. Totals 23-53 16-25 65.
App State: 34-29 63
Chattanooga: 33-32 65
3-point goals--Appalachian State 9-26 (HAMILTON, Tab 6-11; TRICE, Jamaal 2-5; CARTER, Omar 1-7; WOODS, Mitch 0-1; NEAL, Mike 0-2), Chattanooga 3-15 (TAYLOR, Ricky 2-3; BELL, Keegan 1-10; HAMPTON, Dontay 0-2). Fouled out--Appalachian State-WILLIAMSON, Andre, Chattanooga-None. Rebounds--Appalachian State 37 (CARTER, Omar 7), Chattanooga 39 (BURROUGHS, Jahmal 8). Assists--Appalachian State 11 (CARTER, Omar 5), Chattanooga 13 (BELL, Keegan 7). Total fouls--Appalachian State 22, Chattanooga 13. Technical fouls--Appalachian State-None, Chattanooga-None. A-3245
- After the Wednesday league matchup at App State, the Mocs return home Saturday to host The Citadel at 7 p.m. Ticket information is online at GoMocs.com or by calling 266-MOCS (6627). The SoCon Saturday package (Lower level ticket, pizza, popcorn & drink for $10) is available for purchase by midnight Friday.
- The Mocs lead the SoCon in assists (14.9) and FG% defense (40.1). Senior captain Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.) leads in assists at 6.4 per contest.
- Senior forward Jahmal Burroughs (New Orleans, La.) has 21 points and 20 rebounds in the last two contests. He missed the previous three with a hamstring injury. He tied his career-high scoring total with 11 points against Elon with nine in the second half, eight rebounds, in keying the Mocs comeback win. He followed that performance with his first double-double tallying 10 points and 12 boards, a new career-best, against UNCG. He also made 8-9 from the free throw line. A 45.5 percent shooter from the charity stripe in his career, he's made 76.5 percent (13-17) over the last two.
- Junior Drazen Zlovaric (Novi Sad, Serbia) has bounced back from his worst outing as a Moc (0 pts in 11 min at Western Carolina) with three strong ones. Over the last three, Zlovaric posted 16.3 points and 7.0 rebounds per contest shooting 65.7 percent (23-35) from the field. He had a career-best 22 points (11-15 FG) Saturday against UNCG.
- Freshman Ronrico White (Knoxville, Tenn.) has been a strong contributor off the bench for the Mocs. Over his last seven games, he is averaging 6.9 points and 2.3 boards per game shooting 55.6 percent (15-27) from the field including 50 percent (6-12) from beyond the arc, and 75 percent (12-16) from the free throw line while averaging 12.7 minutes.
- Ricky Taylor, 6th on the DI era scoring list, needs 8 points for 1200.
- Taylor is 3 FGM from owning the 10th spot on that career list. 2 FGM will give him 400.
- Keegan Bell's 172 assists this season in No. 6 on the Mocs' record list, 2 behind Tyrone Enoch (1990-91).
- Omar Wattad is averaging 15.6 points per ROAD contest.
- In the last 2 games, Wattad averaged 18.5 points, 5.5 rebounds & 2.5 assists per contest. He's hit 47.1% (8-17) on 3pt attempts & 100% (7-7) from FT line.
- UTC is shooting 38.9% FG on the road, but 35.6% from 3pt range.
Keegan Bell (Huntsville, Ala.)
- Leads the SoCon in assists at 6.4 per game while ranking 11th nationally.
- 2nd in the SoCon in assist/turnover ratio (2.3)...45th in the country.
- Made the 2012 Bob Cousy Award Watch List for second straight year...MVP of Dr Pepper Classic.
- Mocs career assist leader with 513...passed Tim Brooks (1992-93) and Wes Moore (1996-99) on a feed to Ronrico White with 8:12 left in the game at Kentucky...his 172 assists this season is 6th-best...he holds the 3rd (182, 2010-11), 6th (current) and 7th (159 - 2009-10) best season marks in school history...he 17 assists from the 10th-most in SoCon history (530, Kevin Young, Western Carolina, 1979-82).
- Got his 600th collegiate assist against Elon on a White jumper at 14:28 in first half...includes the 95 he tallied as a freshman (2007-08) at Vanderbilt.
- 8th all-time in 3pt FG Made with 154, one ahead of Ricky Taylor...Brandon Born (1992-95) is seventh with 159.
- 2nd in career 3pt FG Attempted with 520 behind Stephen McDowell (2008-09) in first with 611.
- Eight career 20-point games...33 games with double digit scoring numbers...has led the team in scoring thrice this season, 11 times in his career...made four or more threes 17 times in two-plus seasons.
- 58 career five-plus assist games including 21 this season...10 or more assists nine times, four in 2011-12.
Ricky Taylor (Brownsville, Tenn.)
- Graduated with a degree in accounting on December 17, 2011...then immediately drove to Lexington, Ky., as the Mocs took on Kentucky that evening where he had a career-best five assists.
- Scored 1,000th career point in win over Longwood on a 3pt bucket...18th UTC student-athlete in the DI era (1977-78) to accomplish it...currently sixth in scoring (1,192).
- SoCon Ranks: 13th in scoring (13.2), 8th in 3pt% (39.6) and 9th in FT% (79.2).
- 11th at UTC in FGM with 398, two behind David Phillips (1997-00) with 400...looking to become 11th student-athlete in DI era with 400 FGM...3rd in FGA with 963, 216 away from Gerald Wilkins (1983-85) in 2nd with 1179.
- 9th all-time in 3pt FG Made at 153, one behind Bell...tied 6th in 3pt FGA (436) with Omar Wattad, trailing Wes Moore (1996-99) in fifth with 455.
- Led the Mocs in each of the last two seasons in free throws made (151 total) and leads this year with 84...13th with 243 in his career...Derrick Kirce (1990-91) is 12th with 251.
- Career FT% (75.7) is fifth among those who have shot 300 or more.
- 66 double-digit scoring nights in career, 20 in 2011-12...led team in scoring nine times this season, 26 in career.
- 11 career 20-pt games...season-high 24 points in last Thursday's win over Elon.
- Averaging 14.7 ppg in six meetings with App State shooting 48.4% (31-64) from the field, 50.0% (14-28) from 3 pt range and 80.0% (12-15) at the free throw line...in his five starts, Taylor is posting 17.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg and 2.3 apg against the Mountaineers shooting 49.2% FG, 51.9% 3pt and 80.0% FT.
Omar Wattad (Johnson City, Tenn.)
- Tied for 1st in the SoCon in 3pt FG made per game (3.0) with Keaton Cole (WCU) ranking T10th nationally.
- Other SoCon ranks: T11th in scoring (13.4 ppg) and 10th in 3pt% (39.5) which is 44th-best in nation.
- Made 100th trey against Warren Wilson...5th in career treys made with 163...Moore is 4th with 167.
- Scored his 700th career point at Elon...now stands at 791 (867 including Georgetown stats).
- 25 points at Elon topped his 24 points in season opener at IU...four 20-point efforts in 2011-12, 11 career...38 career double-digit scoring games, 17 in 2011-12.
Drazen Zlovaric (Novi Sad, Serbia)
- SoCon Ranks: 5th in rebounding (6.9), 4th in defensive boards (5.4) and 5th in FG% (53.9).
- Game-high 10 boards in 1st collegiate action in more than a year at Indiana.
- 17 double-figure scoring nights...7 or more rebounds in 16 of 27 games...six double-digit rebounding games with four double-doubles.
- Had 11 points and seven boards against ASU in January.
GoMocs.com is the official website of the Chattanooga Mocs. The Mocs can also be followed on their official Facebook page, www.facebook.com/ChattanoogaMocs, or on Twitter, www.twitter.com/GoMocs. Find out how to join the UTC Mocs Club and support more than 300 student-athletes by clicking here.