ASU took all three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. Juniors Stephen Crofford (Franklin, Tenn.) and Roberto Vieira (Bedfordview, South Africa) held a 4-3 lead in their match against Andrew McKinnon and Steve Karendal at No. 3. However, the Mountaineer pair went on to win the next five games for an 8-4 victory.
Junior Ankit Chopra (Chandigrah, India) tied the match at 1-1 when his opponent, Sebastien King, had to retire in the first set. Chattanooga's only other win came at No. 1 when Vieira defeated Alex Markov (7-6 (7-5), 6-1). Vieira improved to 14-10 overall and 10-6 at No. 1 with his third straight win.
Junior Manuel Barroetavena had his 12-match winning streak snapped with a three-set loss at No. 2 today. He was defeated (2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-3), by Phillip Kloc for his first setback in nine SoCon matches.
Appalachian State improved to 13-6 on the year and 6-2 in the SoCon with today's win. UTC returns home for the regular season finale on Friday, April 13 against Samford. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m. (E.D.T.) on the UTC Tennis Courts and a link for live scoring will be available on the men's tennis schedule page on GoMocs.com.
Appalachian State 5, Chattanooga 2
1. Philip Kloc/Sebastien King (ASU) def. Chris Smith/Ankit Chopra (UTC) 8-2
2. Alain Humblet/Alex Markov (ASU) def. Jackson Tresnan/Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) 8-4
3. Andrew McKinnon/Steve Karendal (ASU) def. Stephen Crofford/Roberto Vieira (UTC) 8-4
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Alex Markov (ASU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
2. Philip Kloc (ASU) def. Manuel Barroetavena (UTC) 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-3)
3. Alain Humblet (ASU) def. Chris Smith (UTC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Sebastien King (ASU) 0-1, retired
5. Steve Karendal (ASU) def. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
6. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)