|Men's tennis falls to BSU|
BOISE, Idaho – The No. 66 Idaho men’s tennis team couldn’t pick up a match victory as it fell 7-0 to No. 45 Boise State Saturday night.
The Vandals were swept in doubles as Marius Cirstea and Andrew Dobbs fell 8-5 at No. 1, Abid Akbar and Jose Bendeck dropped a tight 8-7 match at No. 2 and Cristobal Ramos Salazar Cesar Torres lost 8-3 at No. 3.
Idaho was close in several singles matches, but never clinched a match point. Akbar dropped his first set 7-5 at No. 2 singles before losing in two sets. Ramos Salazar dropped a 7-6 first set at No. 3 and also lost in two sets. Bendeck and Torres each fell 6-4, 6-2 in their matches at No. 5 and 6 singles.
“BSU is one of the elite teams in the country this year and they keep improving every match this spring that they play,” Idaho coach Jeff Beaman said. “I am sure they will be in the top 25 when we have a chance for a rematch if we play them in their spring team tournament this March. Our team is young and will also continue to improve with match play this season. Once we get our doubles on track I feel we can get some big wins.”
The loss drops Idaho to 4-4 on the season. The Vandals will return to action next weekend with a trip to Nebraska to face Nebraska and Drake in Lincoln on Feb. 18 and 19, and Creighton in Omaha on Feb. 20.
Boise State 7, Idaho 0
Boise, Idaho – Boas Tennis Center – Feb. 11, 2012
1. Meredith/Sereke (BSU) def. Cirstea/Dobbs (UI), 8-5
2. Sears/Bettles (BSU) def. Akbar/Bendeck (UI), 8-7 (5)
3. Patton/ Pogostkin (BSU) def. Ramos Salazar/Torres (UI), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. James Meredith (BSU) def. Marius Cirstea (UI), 6-3, 6-4
2. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Abid Akbar (UI), 7-5, 6-3
3. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Cristobal Ramos Salazar (UI), 7-6 (4), 6-2
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Alan Shin (UI), 6-1, 6-1
5. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Jose Bendeck (UI), 6-4, 6-2
6. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Cesar Torres (UI), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 3, 1, 2, 6