Soccer Double-Header
Courtesy: Idaho Athletic Media Relations
          Release: 04/01/2012
Print RSS

WSU defeats Idaho

MOSCOW, Idaho - Idaho women's soccer could not handle Washington State University's offensive pressure and physical play in a 3-0 loss Sunday morning in the Kibbie Dome.

In the first game of a double-header for the Vandals, WSU got out to a fast start by scoring off a corner kick early in the first half.   Idaho then stifled the Cougars' offense until the second half when they allowed two more goals to seal the loss. 

Idaho had difficulty establishing an offensive presence throughout the game.  They had just three shots on goal to WSU's six and only one corner kick opportunity.  

"We came out of the gates a little slow and got a rude awakening," Idaho Coach Peter Showler said.   "Once we settled into that first half, we found our feet a little bit more.  But physically they just ground us into the ground and we didn't respond and that was the disappointing thing."

Showler said the loss is an important learning opportunity.  

 "There was some individual defending as a team that we need to sharpen up on and we just need to be a bit more proactive on the offensive side," Showler said.  "With those things in mind, we got three or four weeks of spring here and that's what we're here for, to learn about those things."

Idaho midfielder Megan Lopez said facing a strong team like WSU will only help the Vandals get ready for fall.

"They're a very good PAC-12 school that we don't see in our conference," Lopez said.  "It's challenging us in ways that I know will prepare us for conference season."

Idaho ties CWU

MOSCOW, Idaho - Idaho battled wind and snow to grind out a 0-0 tie in an overtime match against Central Washington University on the SprinTurf practice field.

The Vandals controlled the possessions in the second game of their double-header and were able to push the ball more effectively than they could against WSU.  They were unable to capitalize on their five shots on goal, however, and could not come through in the extra minutes of overtime.

Coach Showler said the score does not reflect the great improvement he saw from the first game, especially on offense.

"We controlled the tempo of the game," Showler said.  "We got the ball down and possessed well.  They're a very athletic and quick team so it was a similar challenge (to WSU) but we organized and communicated way better.  It just made our job a lot easier."

He said the team is still adjusting to a changing lineup, with different players getting different minutes. 

"We got to be mindful that interchanging 20 players certainly makes big, big differences just in terms of adjustments and people getting used to playing with different players and different positions," Showler said.

He said he was pleased the team's toughness and how well they handled the adverse weather.

"It was tough a game to play with the elements but both teams adapted well and we kept it down well and if we're able to do that we'll take big strides," Showler said.