Game Nos. 25-26
Canisius (5-19, 0-0 MAAC) vs. Mt. St. Mary's (9-22, 5-3 NEC)
Date: Thursday, April 5, 2012
Time: Game One begins at 3 p.m.
Place: Demske Sports Complex - Buffalo, N.Y.
- The Canisius College softball team returns to action Thursday afternoon when the Golden Griffins play host to Mount St. Mary's in the 2012 home opener, presented by Mister Pizza.
- Canisius is coming off a 4-3 win at Buffalo March 28. The Griffs' win over their cross-town rivals snapped the Blue and Gold's 11-game losing streak.
- This non-league doubleheader marks the start of a stretch where Canisius will play 10 of their next 12 games at home.
GRIFF NEWS AND NOTES
- Canisius comes into this afternoon's games with a 20-2 all-time record in home openers played at the Demske Sports Complex.
- The Griffs are 32-9 overall in their last 41 home games, dating back to the 2006 season.
- After today's non-league twinbill against Mount St. Mary's, Canisius will have just eight non-conference games left on the 2012 schedule.
- As a team, Canisius ranks 58th in the country in stolen bases per game with 1.38 per contest and 61st in the nation in triples per game with 0.21 per outing.
- Senior Katie Lancellotti was credited with three hits in Canisius' win over Buffalo on March 28. That was her fifth career three-hit game and her first since the 2010 campaign.
- One of Lancellotti's hits in that win was a triple. She starts today's action with two triples, making her one of four players in the league with three or more three-base hits this year.
- Senior Lizzy Gatto leads the team with her .317 batting average. Among players in the MAAC with at least 50 at-bats, she ranks ninth in the conference in batting average.
- Gatto is a perfect 10-for-10 in stolen base chances this season. She is the only player in the conference to have a perfect stolen base percentage (among players with more than seven steals).
- Senior Lauren Falzone is the Canisius leader with 20 runs scored, which ranks second in the MAAC.
- Falzone's two hits at Buffalo March 28, gives her nine multi-hit games this season which leads the team.
- Junior Stephanie Pfentner was credited with the game-winning home run in the Griffs' 4-3 victory at Buffalo March 28. She led off the top of the seventh with a solo shot that broke the game's 3-3 tie. This year, she's batting a .462 when leading off an inning.
SCOUTING MOUNT ST.
- The Mountaineers come into this doubleheader with a 5-22 overall record and a 5-3 mark in Northeast Conference play.
- As a team, Mount St. Mary's is hitting .222 on the year, and the team boasts 35 extra-base hits, 16 of which have been home runs.
- Mount St. Mary's has a .970 team fielding percentage, which ranks 30th in the country.
- Freshman Holly Buckel leads the team with her .284 batting average. She is one of three Mountaineers to boast 21 hits this season.
- Senior Liz Christiansen leads the team with six home runs and 22 RBIs.
- Junior pitcher Nicole Pagano is 7-6 with a 1.63 ERA and 85 strikeouts in 94.1 innings of work to lead the Mount St. Mary's staff.
- Second-year head coach Anna Nagro, and her assistant coach Christine Keleher played their collegiate softball at St. Bonaventure.
- Canisius is 3-0 all-time against Mount St. Mary's in a series that dates back to April 3, 1986.
- This will mark the first time the Mountaineers have played Canisius in Buffalo.
- The Griffs swept a non-conference doubleheader the last time these two schools met, with the Blue and Gold winning by scores of 12-0 and 29-0 when the squads played at Mount St. Mary's on April 4, 1991.