Tritons in Utah for NCAA South Central/West Regional
UC San Diego earned an at-large berth in the NCAA Division II South Central/West Regional, which runs May 9-11 at The Ledges Golf Club in St. George, Utah. St. George is located in the southwest corner of the state, about 120 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
The 20-team regional features 54 holes of play over three days. The top four teams and top two individuals not with a team advance to the NCAA Championships May 20-24 in West Virginia.
This is the Tritons' seventh trip to the NCAA Division II postseason as a team and their first since 2014.
Admission to the tournament is open to the public and free of charge. All three rounds can be followed with live scoring.
• Thursday, May 9, 6:30 a.m. PT: 18 holes (tee times/pairings)
• Friday, May 10, time TBA: 18 holes
• Saturday, May 11, time TBA: 18 holes
PARTICIPATING TEAMS (GCAA coaches rank/Golfstat rank)
• Arkansas-Fort Smith, South Central #9 seed (NR, 73)
• Cal State East Bay, West #4 seed (RV, 29)
• Cal State Monterey Bay, West #5 seed (CCAA winner) (20, 17)
• Chico State, West #1 seed (T-5, 5)
• Colorado Mesa, South Central #7 seed (NR, 53)
• Colorado School of Mines, South Central #3 seed (RMAC winner) (RV, 37)
• Concordia Portland, West #8 seed (NR, 46)
• Dixie State, South Central #5 seed (NR, 34)
• Holy Names, West #10 seed (PacWest winner) (NR, 94)
• Lubbock Christian, South Central #10 seed (NR, 72)
• Midwestern State, South Central #6 seed (Lone Star winner) (23, 23)
• Oklahoma Christian, South Central #1 seed (Heartland winner) (12, 13)
• Simon Fraser, West #6 seed (19, 18)
• Sonoma State, West #3 seed (13, 12)
• St. Edward's, South Central #8 seed (RV, 49)
• St. Mary's, South Central #2 seed (9, 9)
• Stanislaus State, West #7 seed (NR, 32)
• UC San Diego, West #9 seed (NR, 44)
• Western New Mexico, South Central #4 seed (NR, 27)
• Western Washington, West #2 seed (GNAC winner) (4, 4)
• Chase Carlson, Colorado Christian
• Tyler Fitchett, Saint Martin's
• Cody Hall, Cal State San Bernardino
• Jared Kinoshita, Hawai'i Hilo
• Gabriel De Leon Manotoc, Academy of Art
• Nathan McCann, Colorado State Pueblo
• Lucas McCubbin, Texas A&M-Commerce
• Jack Duguid, Colorado Colorado Springs
• 108 golfers (100 team players, 8 individuals)
• Each team consists of five players
• Top four player scores count towards team total in each round
1. Hayden Hui (Jr., 72.8 stroke average, 35 Golfstat ranking)
2. Adam Navigato (Jr., 74.5)
3. Elliot Bunyaviroch (Fr., 74.2, 138)
4. Justin Woo (Jr., 75.0)
5. Jacob Johnson (Jr., 77.3)
UC SAN DIEGO AT THE NCAA DIVISION II REGIONAL
|Year||Course||Location||Team Finish||Top Triton(s)|
|2014||Grey Rock||Austin, Texas||16||Daniel Yang T-31|
|2013||The Home Course||DuPont, Wash.||18||Clayton Yamaguchi T-54|
|2012||Wigwam||Litchfield Park, Ariz.||14||Marc Hermann T-29|
|2011||Univ. of New Mexico||Albuquerque, N.M.||no team score||Keith Okasaki T-5|
|2010||Classic Club||Palm Desert, Calif.||no team score||Keith Okasaki T-65|
|2009||Wilderness||Lincoln, Neb.||no team score||Keith Okasaki T-31|
|2008||Adobe Creek||Petaluma, Calif.||no team score||Nathan Phan 19|
|2007||Fox Hollow||Lakewood, Colo.||6||Nathan Phan 9|
|2006||Legacy||Phoenix, Ariz.||no team score||Justin Grant 29|
|2004||Bellingham||Bellingham, Wash.||4||Joe Dolby/Alan Scheer T-8|
|2003||The Meadows||Littleton, Colo.||T-6||Brian Duckworth T-10|
UC SAN DIEGO SEASON RESULTS
• CCAA Championships, tie for 4th of 9 (UC San Diego top finisher: Justin Woo, 4th of 45)
• UCSB Intercollegiate, 4th of 8 (Adam Navigato, tie for 5th)
• Hanny Stanislaus Invitational, 7th of 17 (Hayden Hui, tie for 10th)
• SoCal Intercollegiate, 8th of 16 (Hayden Hui, tie for 10th)
• Bay Area Invitational, 5th of 14 (Hayden Hui, 4th)
• CSUSM Invitational, 3rd of 15 (Hayden Hui, tie for 6th)
• Otter Invitational, 9th of 17 (Hayden Hui, Adam Navigato, Justin Woo tie for 28th)
• Dixie State Fall Regional Preview, tie for 21st of 27 (Hayden Hui, tie for 7th)
• Western Washington Invitational, tie for 15th of 20 (Hayden Hui, tie for 13th)
• Saint Martin's Invitational, 10th of 18 (Hayden Hui, tie for 14th)
• Sonoma State Invitational, 4th of 8 (Hayden Hui, tie for 10th)
HUI, BUNYAVIROCH EARN CCAA ACCOLADES
Hayden Hui and Elliot Bunyaviroch were recognized by the California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) as it announced its postseason award winners on April 29. Hui was named to the All-CCAA First Team, while Bunyaviroch was tabbed the league's Freshman of the Year.
Hui, a junior Structural Engineering major, has been UC San Diego's top finisher in nine of 11 tournaments this season. He has recorded seven top 10 performances, including a season-best fourth at the Bay Area Invitational in late February. Most recently, Hui tied for eighth at the CCAA Championships. He holds a team-best 72.8 stroke average and his 67 in the second round of the Dixie State Fall Regional Preview in October was the lowest round by any Triton this season. Hui, from Dublin, Calif., was a CCAA Honorable Mention selection in 2018.
Bunyaviroch has made an immediate impact in his first season with the Tritons. Over seven tournaments played, he has a 74.2 stroke average, the second-best on the squad. He owns four top 15 finishes with a career-best tie for 12th against a primarily Division I field at the UC Santa Barbara Intercollegiate. He tied for 13th at the CCAA Championships. Bunyaviroch is an Economics major from San Francisco.
THE LAST TIME AT THE LEDGES
UC San Diego has already played The Ledges in St. George this season, finishing in a tie for 21st among a 27-team field at the Fall Regional Preview way back in mid-October of 2018. Four of the five Tritons currently in Utah competed in that tournament including Hayden Hui, Jacob Johnson, Adam Navigato, and Justin Woo. Hui tied for seventh as UC San Diego's top finisher. He fired an impressive 67 in the second and final round after shooting an even par 72 in the first. For a complete recap of the event, click here.
NAVIGATO EARNS CCAA GOLFER OF THE WEEK HONOR
After nabbing a season-best finish at the UCSB Intercollegiate, Adam Navigato was named the CCAA Golfer of the Week on April 17. Navigato tied for fifth among 55 players at Sandpiper Golf Course in Santa Barbara. Over two days and 54 holes, he totaled a 217, 1 over par on the par 72, 7,062 yard layout. The junior fired rounds of 73, 72, and 72 and had 10 birdies, tied for the second-most during the event. Navigato made a big jump on the leader board Tuesday as he was tied for 13th following Monday's two rounds of play. His consistent performance helped UC San Diego to a fourth-place finish. Six of the eight teams competing were from the NCAA Division I ranks. Also in the field was Cal State Monterey Bay, the nation's 17th-ranked squad in NCAA Division II. The Tritons finished in front of Monterey Bay and three DI teams. It is Navigato's second weekly honor from the CCAA as he was tabbed Golfer of the Week in October of 2017. He is a Cognitive Science major in UC San Diego's Roosevelt College.
2019 NCAA REGIONAL SITES
Atlantic/East: Totteridge Golf Club in Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Central/Midwest: Hot Springs Country Club in Hot Springs, Arkansas
South/Southeast: Mission Inn Resort and Club in Howey-in-the-Hills, Florida
South Central/West: The Ledges Golf Club in St. George, Utah
The top four teams and top two individuals not with a team from the South Central/West Regional advance to the NCAA Championships, which run May 20-24 at The Resort at Glade Springs in Daniels, West Virginia.
About UC San Diego Athletics
With 30 national team championships, nearly 150 individual titles, and the top student-athlete graduation rate among Division II institutions in the United States, the UC San Diego intercollegiate athletics program annually ranks as one of the most successful in the country. The Tritons sponsor 23 intercollegiate sport programs that compete on the NCAA Division I and II levels and, in the summer of 2020, will transition into full Division I status as a member of the Big West Conference. UC San Diego student-athletes exemplify the academic ideals of one of the world's pre-eminent institutions, graduating at an average rate of 91 percent. A total of 81 Tritons have earned Academic All-America honors, while 37 have earned prestigious NCAA Post-Graduate Scholarships. In competition, more than 1,300 UC San Diego student-athletes have earned All-America honors.
Follow the Tritons
For complete coverage and information regarding UC San Diego Athletics, follow the Tritons online at UCSDTritons.com and through social media on Twitter (@UCSDTritons), Instagram (@UCSDTritons) and Facebook (UCSDTritons). To stay tuned in to UC San Diego Men's Golf, follow the team's Instagram (@UCSDmensgolf).