GREENSBORO, N.C. – UNC Greensboro softball (21-12) defeated NC State (20-16) 2-1 Wednesday evening at UNCG Softball Stadium. Stephanie Bryden (15-6) threw a complete game with 12 strikeouts and just one run, four hits and no walks allowed.
We take the home matchup 2️⃣-1️⃣ over NC State!! @StephBryden_03 threw a complete game with 12 K's, & @hannah_kincer knocked in the game-winner with a RBI-double in the 4th inning #letsgoG pic.twitter.com/ZZCAHiSRyC— UNCG Softball (@UNCGSoftball) April 3, 2019
The Spartans scored the game’s first run in the previous inning. Makenna Matthijs was hit by a pitch with one out and advanced two bases on a wild pitch and passed ball. Marisa Sholtes hit a two-out RBI-single to left field.
NC State tied the game up the next inning with a leadoff homer to right field.
UNCG returns to action with its second-straight road Southern Conference road series with Furman that starts with a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m.
News and Notes
- With her 44th career win, Bryden tied Raeanne Hanks (2010-14) for seventh-most wins in program history that moved her ahead of Amy Poole (2000-03).
- Bryden threw her seventh-straight and 12th complete game of the year.
- Bryden recorded her 450th career strikeout and has 456 total.
- The 12 strikeouts tied a season-high for Bryden and sixth-most strikeouts in a single-game in school history.
The reigning @SoConSports Pitcher of the Week @StephBryden_03 continued to deal 🔥 from the circle. She tied a season-high with 1️⃣2️⃣ K's, which also tied for 6th-most strikeouts in a single game in school history. She also reached base 2x & was the winning run 😁 #letsgoG pic.twitter.com/HQBMcqXdJk— UNCG Softball (@UNCGSoftball) April 3, 2019
- Bryden has thrown seven 10+ strikeout outings this season and 14 in her career.
- Bryden was the only Spartan to reach base more than once with a walk and hit by pitch.
- Bryden is 8-1 in her last nine appearances with all but one as complete games.
- The Spartans have won 9 of their last 11 games.
- UNCG is 4-3 versus NC State under head coach Janelle Breneman.
- In the last 4 games the Spartans have outscored the Wolfpack 32-15, including the biggest loss in NC State’s history.
- Bryden has won three-straight games against the Wolfpack.
-- UNCG –