CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – Katie Stettler knocked in the game-winning run on a two-out single through the right side in the top of the seventh inning as UNC Greensboro softball (20-12, 4-2 Southern Conference) swept Chattanooga (23-11, 2-4) with a 4-3 victory Sunday afternoon at Jim Frost Stadium. The Spartans scored four runs in the last two innings for the comeback victory.
UTC struck first in the fourth inning. After a leadoff single to right field, their first hit of the game, the Mocs hit a one-out homer to left field.
UNCG took its first lead in the sixth inning. The Spartans loaded the bases with no outs as Marisa Sholtes drew a leadoff walk, Gabi Howard hit an infield single and Stettler was hit by a pitch. After two fielder’s choices that got the runner out at home, the Mocs’ centerfielder was unable to make a catch on a ball from pinch-hitter Hannah Kincer that brought home Stephanie Bryden and Stettler, and pinch-runner Breanna Butcher then jogged home after a throw went errant at third base.
The Mocs tied up the game in the bottom of the inning with a leadoff homer to right field.
UNCG returns to action with a home Wednesday matchup with NC State at 5 p.m.
News and Notes
- Bryden (14-6) threw her 12th complete game of the year and second of the series, allowing three runs, five hits and one walk with 11 strikeouts.
- Bryden moved into fourth-place in career strikeouts (444) in school history ahead of Raeanne Hanks (2010-14) at 437.
- Bryden recorded her 43rd career win to tie Amy Poole (2000-03) for eighth-most wins in program history.
- Bryden has thrown six 10+ strikeout outings this season and 13 in her career.
- Sholtes reached base three times with her double and two walks. Stettler and Howard were the only Spartans to reach more than once.
- UNCG has won the last four years’ series by a combined record of 11-2, including the last six games.