ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Saint Joseph's sophomore Amanda Nava battled to a three-set victory at No. 1 singles, but the Hawks' women's tennis team dropped its first dual match of the season on Saturday as Navy prevailed, 6-1.
Facing the Mids' Annalise Klopfer, Nava fell behind early as she dropped the first set, 7-5, but fought back to even it after taking the second, 6-3. In the competitive super breaker, Nava pulled away in the end with a 13-11 decision to pick up the win.
Navy controlled the other five matches though as it captured wins in all of them to secure the team victory.
In doubles action, Nava and senior Isis Gill-Reid put up a strong effort at the top flight, but Navy's Danika Kahatapitiya and Tina Li pulled away for a 6-3 win, while the Mids earned wins at the other two flights to pick up the doubles point.
"The inexperienced Hawks were simply overwhelmed by a strong Navy squad," said SJU head coach Ian Crookenden. "But, we had glimpses of what might be in future contests."
Saint Joseph's (0-1) is back in action at Bucknell on February 10 at 1 p.m.
Navy 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Danika Kahatapitiya/Tina Li (NAVY) def. Amanda Nava/Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-3
2. Annalise Klopfer/Kacey Moore (NAVY) def. Laura Gomez/Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-1
3. Katreina Corpuz/Meghana Komarraju (NAVY) def. Katherine Devlin/Iswarya Vel (SJU) 6-0
1. Amanda Nava (SJU) def. Annalise Klopfer (NAVY) 5-7, 6-3, 13-11
2. Meghana Komarraju (NAVY) def. Laura Gomez (SJU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Kacey Moore (NAVY) def. Isis Gill-Reid (SJU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tina Li (NAVY) def. Paige Conrad (SJU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Katreina Corpuz (NAVY) def. Alex Kramer (SJU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Danika Kahatapitiya (NAVY) def. Madeline Hill (SJU) 6-0, 6-0
Singles: Navy 71, Saint Joseph's 23
Doubles: Navy 18, Saint Joseph's 4
Total: Navy 89, Saint Joseph's 27
Receive all of the latest news and info on SJU women's tennis with Hawk E-News –SIGN UP