ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Saint Joseph's men's tennis squad opened its spring semester slate on Saturday afternoon, falling at Navy, 6-1.
Saint Joseph's (0-1) kicked things off by taking the doubles point for the early lead. After the Midshipmen took the third flight match, senior Andre Fick teamed up with sophomore Nathan Perrone for a 6-3 win in the first flight and junior Beekman Schaeffer and sophomore Sam Sauter grabbed a 6-4 result in the second flight to secure the day's first point.
Unfortunately for the Hawks, the hosts would grab all six singles matches, five of them in straight sets. Schaeffer took the lead in his third-flight tilt with a 7-6 win in the first set, but Jonathan Dollahite rallied for a supertiebreaker win to finish off the singles sweep.
"It was a very competitive opener," head coach Ian Crookenden said. "Some strong play by Navy quickly swung the momentum in their favor, but the Hawks looked impressive in their opening match."
The Hawks will return to action two weeks from today with a matchup against Bucknell at the Springton Indoor Tennis Club on February 16.
Navy 6, Saint Joseph's 1
1. Andre Fick / Nathan Perrone (SJU) def. Greg Durham / Peter Lohrbach (USNA), 6-3
2. Sam Sauter / Beekman Schaeffer (SJU) def. Jonathan Dollahite / Conners O'Brien (USNA), 6-4
3. Cameron Kirkpatrick / Sam Vagner (USNA) def. Luis Janko / Dan Tan (SJU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Jake Fishkin (USNA) def. Perrone (SJU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Matthew Lee (USNA) def. Fick (SJU), 6-2, 6-1
3. Dollahite (USNA) def. Schaeffer (SJU), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 10-7 (STB)
4. Jan Kjellberg (USNA) def. Johnnie Massart (SJU), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
5. Romesh Kahatapitiya (USNA) def. Tan (SJU), 6-2, 6-3
6. O'Brien (USNA) def. Janko (SJU), 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 2, 1, 4, 3
Singles: Navy 74, Saint Joseph's 36
Doubles: Saint Joseph's 14, Navy 13
Total: Navy 87, Saint Joseph's 50