AUSTIN, Texas – The No. 14 Oklahoma men’s tennis team ended its run at the Big 12 Tennis Championship in the semifinals Saturday as it was defeated by No. 15 Texas, 4-0.
With the loss, OU drops to 19-5 overall, while Texas improves to 16-6 on the year.
“We’re disappointed in the outcome today, but we have more to play for the next four weeks of the season,” said head coach Nick Crowell. “Our guys remain hungry to finish out this season strong and make a run at a national title moving forward.”
The Sooners gave up the doubles point to open the match. OU’s Adrian Oetzbach and Jochen Bertsch were defeated by Texas' Yuya Ito and Colin Markes, 6-2, on court three.
Calvo and Tsorotiotis fell to Leonardo Telles and Adrian Ortiz, 6-3, at the No. 2 spot to give Texas the opening point.
When play was abandoned, No. 68 Alex Bakshi and Van Embugh were locked in at 5-5 with the Longhorns’ Harrison Scott and Christian Sisgaard on court one.
In singles play, Tsorotiotis was defeated by Texas’ Ortiz, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 6 line.
Van Emburgh’s seven-match winning streak was snapped by Texas’ No. 57 Ito when he fell, 6-4, 6-4, on court two.
At No. 5, OU’s Stewart was defeated by No. 103 Banzer, 6-2, 6-4, to give Texas the win.
When play was halted, No. 32 Bakshi was tied at 3-3 with No. 112 Sisgaard in the second frame on court one. Bakshi gave up the first set after a battle, 7-5.
No. 60 Calvo had just started a third set with No. 89 Scott on court three, up 1-0. Calvo gabbed the first set, handily, winning 6-2, before Scott turned the tables in set two to win it 6-4 and force a deciding frame.
Oetzbach led No. 91 Telles, 4-3, in the second set after giving up the first, 6-4.
The Sooners await their NCAA fate. Tournament seeding will take place on Tuesday, May 1.
For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
- #112 Christian Sigsgaard (UT) vs. #32 Alex Bakshi (OU) 7-5, 3-3, unfinished
- #57 Yuya Ito (UT) def. Jake van Emburgh (OU) 6-4, 6-4
- #89 Harrison Scott (UT) vs. #60 Ferran Calvo (OU) 2-6, 6-4, 0-1, unfinished
- #91 Leonardo Telles (UT) vs. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-4, 3-4, unfinished
- #103 Rodrigo Banzer (UT) def. Max Stewart (OU) 6-2, 6-4
- Adrian Ortiz (UT) def. Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) 6-1, 6-1
- Harrison Scott/Christian Sigsgaard (UT) vs. #68 Alex Bakshi/Jake van Emburgh (OU) 5-5, unfinished
- Leonardo Telles/Adrian Ortiz (UT) def. Ferran Calvo/Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) 6-3
- Yuya Ito/Colin Markes (UT) def. Adrian Oetzbach/Jochen Bertsch (OU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,2,5)