Sooners Top Tech 4-0, Advance to Big 12 Semifinal
AUSTIN, Texas – The No. 14 Oklahoma men’s tennis team took down No. 30 Texas Tech, 4-0, Friday to advance to the Big 12 Tennis Championship semifinal.
With the victory, OU improves to 19-4 on the year. Texas Tech drops to 19-10.
“We did a lot of preparation for today’s match and our guys came ready to play,” said head coach Nick Crowell. “I thought the doubles point was huge for us … it helped get the momentum in our direction fast and our goal was to establish dominance in the first sets and we did that. Then it was just about closing. Jake (Van Emburgh) and (Alex) Bakshi did a great job against two really good players and Stefano (Tsorotiotis) was clutch down there at six.”
The Sooners opened the match with the doubles point behind wins on courts one and two, marking OU’s first doubles point against a Big 12 opponent this season.
No. 68 Alex Bakshi and Jake Van Emburgh rolled past No. 66 Jackson Cobb and Alex Sendegeya, 6-3, at the top spot.
Ferran Calvo and Stefano Tsorotiotis captured the point with a 6-3 win over Connor Curry and Ilgiz Valiev on court two.
When play was abandoned, the German duo of Adrian Oetzbach and Jochen Bertsch trailed Texas Tech’s Matheus Leite and Tommy Mylnikov, 4-3, after working their way out of a 3-0 deficit.
Van Emburgh picked up OU’s first singles win of the day, giving up just two games en route to a 6-2, 6-0, victory over No. 106 Mylnikov from the No. 2 line. With the victory, Van Emburgh pushes his winning streak to seven matches.
OU’s Tsorotiotis defeated Cobb handily at the No. 6 line, winning, 6-2, 6-2, to extend the Sooners’s lead to 3-0 in the match.
Bakshi sealed the deal for Oklahoma with a 6-3, 6-3, victory over Sendegeya at the top spot to send the Sooners to the second round of the Big 12 Tennis Championships.
When play was halted, OU’s No. 60 Calvo trailed Curry, 5-2, in the second set after taking the first, 6-3, on court three.
Oetzbach was just a game away from closing out Texas Tech’s Valiev, leading 5-2 in the second set after grabbing the first, 6-4.
OU’s Stewart trailed Kapshuk, 5-2, in the second frame. The Sooner won the first set, 6-3.
For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
1. #32 Alex Bakshi (OU) def. Alex Sendegeya (TT) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jake van Emburgh (OU) def. #106 Tommy Mylnikov (TT) 6-2, 6-0
3. #60 Ferran Calvo (OU) vs. Connor Curry (TT) 6-3, 2-5, unfinished
4. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) vs. Ilgiz Valiev (TT) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
5. Max Stewart (OU) vs. Artem Kapshuk (TT) 6-3, 2-5, unfinished
6. Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) def. Jackson Cobb (TT) 6-2, 6-2
1. #68 Alex Bakshi/Jake van Emburgh (OU) def. #66 Jackson Cobb/Alex Sendegeya (TT) 6-3
2. Ferran Calvo/Stefano Tsorotiotis (OU) def. Connor Curry/Ilgiz Valiev (TT) 6-3
3. Adrian Oetzbach/Jochen Bertsch (OU) vs. Matheus Leite/Tommy Mylnikov (TT) 3-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,6,1)