NORMAN – The No. 48 Oklahoma women’s tennis team shut out Oral Roberts Thursday at the Headington Family Tennis Center, downing the Golden Eagles with a pair of 4-0 victories.
“I think today was good for confidence overall,” said head coach Audra Cohen. “The Big 12 is really tough this year, so for us to be able to come out here and kind of have a day where we could work on things in match situations and gain confidence and notice the things that we have been working on and notice that they are working. We’re actually playing pretty good tennis despite some of the tougher results we’ve had in the Big 12 – we’re right there.”
With the victories, OU improves to 12-9 overall, while Oral Roberts fell to 9-14.
In the first match of the day, the Sooners won the doubles point handily, giving up just one game en route to clinching the point.
OU's Simran Sethi and Camila Romero shut out ORU's Brenda Mercado and Ceijenia Cornelius, 6-0, on court three. The Sooners' tandem of Christie Brigante and Jasmine Asghar rolled past Mariia Kuzminskaya and Andrea Vasiljeciv, 6-1, from the No. 2 line, to claim the point for OU.
When play was abandoned, OU’s Lily Miyazaki and Malene Stripp were just a game away from closing out court two, up 5-2 on Gorana Kadijevic and Jovana Antonijevic.
Brigante grabbed the first singles win of the day with a rout of Antonijevic on court two. The senior took the court, 6-1, 6-0, to push OU's lead to 2-0.
Fellow senior Stripp made quick work of ORU’s Kuzminskaya, winning 6-2, 6-0, from the No. 5 line. OU’s Miyazaki sealed the win with a 6-0, 6-3, win over Kadijevic on court one.
When play was halted, Romero trailed ORU’s Vasiljeciv, 2-0, in the second frame after giving up the first, 6-4.
The Sooners’ Sethi was tied at 2-2 with ORU's Ceijenia Cornelius after winning the first frame, 6-2. Freshman Nina Jabrzemski trailed the Golden Eagles’ Valentina Gisbert, 1-0, in set two. Jabrzemski dropped the first set after a tiebreaker, 7-6 (6).
OU also claimed the doubles point in the second match of the day. Miyazaki and Stripp got things started with a 6-1 rout of ORU’s Vasiljevic and Kuzminskaya at the No. 2 spot.
Brigante and Asghar followed suit, defeating Cornelius and Kadijevic, 6-1, from the No. 1 line, to grab the point for the Sooners.
Romero and Sethi led ORU’s Mercado and Antonijevic, 5-2, when play was halted.
OU’s Sethi picked up the first singles victory in the second match, dominating court five for a 6-1, 6-0, victory over Kuzminskaya.
Miyazaki won her second match of the day, taking down the Golden Eagles’Antonijevic, 6-2, 6-1, in the at the No. 1 line.
Freshman Jabrzemski clinched the match for OU with a 6-0, 6-2, victory over the Golden Eagles' Valentina Gisbert on court six. The win was Jabrzemski's first singles victory as a Sooner.
When play was halted, Asghar led ORU’s Kadijevic, 5-4, in the second set after dropping the opening set. OU's Brigante was up, 4-3, in set two after winning her first frame, 6-1, against Vasiljevic on court three. Romero led ORU’s Cornelius, 4-1, in the second set after taking the first frmae handily, 6-2.
The Sooners resume Big 12 play on Friday, April 13, with Texas Tech at 5 p.m. CT. The Sooners will also host TCU on Sunday, April 15, at 2 p.m. for Senior Day.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
No. 48 OU 4, Oral Roberts 0
- #43 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Gorana Kadijevic (ORUW) 6-0, 6-3
- Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Jovana Antonijevic (ORUW) 6-1, 6-0
- Camila Romero (OU) vs. Andrea Vasiljevic (ORUW) 4-6, 0-2, unfinished
- Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) vs. Ceijenia Cornelius (ORUW) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
- Malene Stripp (OU) def. Mariia Kuzminskaya (ORUW) 6-2, 6-0
- Nina Jabrzemski (OU) vs. Valentina Gisbert (ORUW) 6-7 (6-8), 0-1, unfinished
- Jasmine Asghar/Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Mariia Kuzminskaya/Andrea Vasiljevic (ORUW) 6-1
- Lily Miyazaki/Malene Stripp (OU) vs. Gorana Kadijevic/Jovana Antonijevic (ORUW) 5-2, unfinished
- Simran Kaur Sethi/Camila Romero (OU) def. Brenda Mercado/Ceijenia Cornelius (ORUW) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,5,1)
No. 48 OU 4, Oral Roberts 0
- #43 Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Jovana Antonijevic (ORUW) 6-2, 6-1
- Jasmine Asghar (OU) vs. Gorana Kadijevic (ORUW) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
- Christiana Brigante (OU) vs. Andrea Vasiljevic (ORUW) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
- Camila Romero (OU) vs. Ceijenia Cornelius (ORUW) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
- Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) def. Mariia Kuzminskaya (ORUW) 6-1, 6-0
- Nina Jabrzemski (OU) def. Valentina Gisbert (ORUW) 6-0, 6-2
- Jasmine Asghar/Christiana Brigante (OU) def. Ceijenia Cornelius/Gorana Kadijevic (ORUW) 6-1
- Malene Stripp/Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Andrea Vasiljevic/Mariia Kuzminskaya (ORUW) 6-1
- Camila Romero/Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) vs. Brenda Mercado/Jovana Antonijevic (ORUW) 5-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,1,6)