ORLANDO – The Oklahoma men’s tennis team topped USF, 4-3, Friday at the USTA National Campus at Lake Nona.
The Sooners dropped the doubles point for just the second time this season, but surged back in singles action to win the match. With the victory, OU improves to 8-1 on the season, while USF drops to 2-7 overall.
At No. 1 doubles, Alex Bakshi and Jake Van Emburgh were defeated by Alberto Barroso-Campos and Grayson Goldin, 6-2.
Ferran Calvo and James Davis made quick work of Sean Burnette and Pierre Luquet to keep the Sooners in it, winning 6-2 from the No. 3 line.
That left court two to decide the point. Adrian Oetzbach and Jochen Bertsch took Peter Bertran and Jakub Wojcik down to the wire, but the Bulls prevailed after a tiebreaker, 7-6 (5).
Van Emburgh struck first for the Sooners in singles action, making quick work of Pierre Luquet on court four, 6-0, 6-2. The freshman’s win tied the match at 1-1.
Fellow freshman Max Stewart grabbed a dominant win, taking down Burnette, 6-2, 6-0, from the No. 6 line to give the Sooners a 2-1 lead in the match.
Bertsch defeated Wojcik, 6-4, 6-1, from the No. 5 line. The sophomore remains undefeated on the season at 7-0, and is the only Sooner with a perfect record.
No. 22 Calvo sealed the win for the Sooners with a 6-4, 7-6 (1) , victory over Bertran from the No. 3 line.
Bakshi, who was tabbed No. 108 in the latest ITA release, fell to No. 77 Barroso-Campos, 7-6 (3), 6-4. The loss marked Bakshi’s first of the season, and the junior moved to 5-1 on the year.
Oetzbach fell to Goldin after a superbreaker, 4-6, 7-6 (0), 1-0 (4). The sophomore dropped the first frame before battling back to force a second-set tiebreaker. Oetzbach dominated the tiebreaker, but Goldin answered in the 10-point tiebreaker in lieu of a third set and took the match.
The Sooners return to the USTA National Campus tomorrow to take on No. 5 Texas A&M at 9:30 a.m. CT as part of College MatchDay, an event that showcases 14 elite college tennis programs. The match will be broadcast on the Tennis Channel, and a live stream will be available online via the Tennis Channel Everywhere. Live stats will also be provided.
For updates, follow @OU_MTennis on Twitter.
1. #71 Alberto Barroso-Camp (USF) def. #108 Alex Bakshi (OU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-4
2. Grayson Goldin (USF) def. Adrian Oetzbach (OU) 6-4, 6-7 (0-7), 1-0 (10-4)
3. #22 Ferran Calvo (OU) def. Peter Bertran (USF) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
4. Jake van Emburgh (OU) def. Pierre Luquet (USF) 6-0, 6-2
5. Jochen Bertsch (OU) def. Jakub Wojcik (USF) 6-4, 6-2
6. Max Stewart (OU) def. Sean Burnette (USF) 6-2, 6-0
1. Alberto Barroso-Camp/Grayson Goldin (USF) def. Alex Bakshi/Jake van Emburgh (OU) 6-3
2. Peter Bertran/Jakub Wojcik (USF) def. Adrian Oetzbach/Jochen Bertsch (OU) 7-6 (7-5)
3. James Davis/Ferran Calvo (OU) def. Pierre Luquet/Sean Burnette (USF) 6-2