AUBURN, Ala. – Oklahoma women’s tennis opened the season with a loss to Auburn, but bounced back to defeat Georgia State Saturday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center at Auburn University.
The Sooners (1-1) fell to No. 14 Auburn, 4-0, in the first match of the day before wrapping up the day with a 4-1 victory over Georgia State.
"Even though we got off to a slow start in singles, we made adjustments to get into the second sets on most of the courts," said head coach Audra Cohen. "We took this momentum into our match against a gritty Georgia state team. Our freshman stepped in doubles and singles in the Georgia State match and our seniors showed their poise and experience. It was a true team effort and a valuable experience to kick off our season."
OU dropped the doubles point to the Tigers. Freshmen Nina Jabrzemski and Camila Romero fell to Auburn's Georgie Axon and Alannah Griffin, 6-0, on court three.
Malene Stripp and newcomer Skyler Miller battled it out with Taylor Russo and Madeline Meredith on court two, trading games before the Tigers put the match away, 6-4, to claim the doubles point. When play was halted, Brigante and Sethi trailed Jaeda Daniel and Alizee Michaud, 5-3, on court one.
In singles play, Brigante fell to ITA No. 53 Daniel, 6-0, 6-1, on court two. Jabrzemski was defeated by Auburn's Caroline Turner, 6-2, 6-2, on court six. The freshman fought back from a 4-0 deficit in the first set, but was unable to close the gap.
On court four, Romero fell to No. 77 Alizee Michaud, 6-1, 6-3, as Auburn clinched the match.
When play was halted, Miller had just dropped her first frame after a tiebreaker. The freshman took a 3-0 lead before trading games with Auburn's Andie Dikosavljevic, who tied the set at 6-all. Dikosavljevic prevailed, taking the tiebreaker 7-4.
Sethi led Russo, 5-3, in the second frame after Russo took the first set, 6-0, on court one. Stripp trailed Meredith, 5-4, after dropping her first set, 6-0.
OU rebounded against Georgia State as the Sooners opened the contest with the doubles point. Miller and Stripp had no trouble with Georgia State’s Lara Vovk and Anastasia Grosheva, winning 6-1 on court three. Miyazkai and Romero clinched the point for the Sooners with a 6-3 win over the Panthers' Damira Muminovic and Daniela Ramirez, 6-3, from the No. 2 line.
When play was suspended, Brigante and Sethi trailed Arina Taluyenko Kristin Rehse, 5-4.
In singles action, Stripp defeated Muminovic, 6-1, 6-4, from the No. 5 line. Miyazaki put away Elizabeta Danailova, 6-2, 6-3, on court one to extend OU's lead.
Miller clinched the match for the Sooners with a 6-4, 7-5, win over Anastasia Grosheva on court six, marking her first career victory at OU. The freshman, who joined the roster prior to the start of the spring semester, controlled the first frame, but Grosheva battled back in the second. Miller held on to win an extended set, 7-5.
Sethi fell to ITA No. 108 Rehse 6-1, 6-0, on court two to give Georgia State its lone point of the match.
When play was halted, Romero led Taluyenko in the third set, 4-2. The freshman dropped the first set, 6-1, before winning three straight games to win 6-4 and force a deciding frame.
Brigante was also in a third-set battle with Ramirez, leading 2-0. The senior won her first set, 6-4, before Ramirez took the second, 6-2.
The Sooners are back in action next weekend in Columbia, S.C. for ITA Kickoff Weekend, where they will face USC, Clemson and host South Carolina. Should the Sooners win two matches at Kickoff Weekend, they will earn a bid to the 2018 ITA National Indoor Championships, hosted by the University of Wisconsin, Feb. 9-12.
For updates, follow @OU_WTennis on Twitter.
No. 14 Auburn 4, OU 0
- Taylor Russo (Auburn) vs. Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) 6-0, 3-5, unfinished
- No. 53 Jaeda Daniel (Auburn) def. Christiana Brigante (OU) 6-0, 6-1
- No. 77 Alizee Michaud (Auburn) def. Camila Romero (OU) 6-1, 6-3
- Madeline Meredith (Auburn) vs. Malene Stripp (OU) 6-0, 5-4, unfinished
- Andie Dikosavljevic (Auburn) vs. Skyler Miller (OU) 7-6 (7-4), 1-0, unfinished
- Caroline Turner (Auburn) def. Nina Jabrzemski (OU) 6-2, 6-2
- Jaeda Daniel/Alizee Michaud (Auburn) vs. Christiana Brigante/Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) 5-3, unfinished
- Taylor Russo/Madeline Meredith (Auburn) def. Malene Stripp/Skyler Miller (OU) 6-4
- Georgie Axon/Alannah Griffin (Auburn) def. Nina Jabrzemski/Camila Romero (OU) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,6,3)
OU 4, Georgia State, 1
- Lily Miyazaki (OU) def. Elizabet Danailova (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
- No. 108 Kristin Rehse (GSU) def. Simran Kaur Sethi (OU) 6-1, 6-0
- Daniela Ramirez (GSU) vs. Christiana Brigante (OU) 4-6, 6-2, 0-2, unfinished
- Arina Taluyenko (GSU) vs. Camila Romero (OU) 6-1, 4-6, 2-4, unfinished
- Malene Stripp (OU) def. Damira Muminovic (GSU) 6-1, 6-4
- Skyler Miller (OU) def. Anastasia Grosheva (GSU) 6-4, 7-5
- Arina Taluyenko/Kristin Rehse (GSU) vs. Simran Kaur Sethi/Christiana Brigante (OU) 5-4, unfinished
- Lily Miyazaki/Camila Romero (OU) def. Damira Muminovic/Daniela Ramirez (GSU) 6-3
- Skyler Miller/Malene Stripp (OU) def. Lara Vovk/Anastasia Grosheva (GSU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (2,5,1,6)