KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Following their first national championship in program history, Central Methodist (Mo.) claims the No. 1 spot in the NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday morning.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
- Central Methodist (Mo.) claims the second No. 1-ranking in program history. The Eagles took home the red banner in 2018, finishing the season 22-2-2.
- The Eagles of Central Methodist received all 18 first place votes in the first Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll of the season.
- Missouri Valley came in at the No. 2 spot. The Vikings were national runners-up in 2018 as well as national runner-up in 2017 season.
- There are two newcomers to the poll including No. 23 Science & Arts (Okla.) and No. 25 Southeastern (Fla.)
- The top ten team remained the same from the 2018 postseason poll released December of 2018.
- Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) holds the record as the longest consecutively ranked active school at 129-straight polls, dating back to the first installment of the Top 25 in 2007. Rio Grande (Ohio) is second on the list with 119 consecutive polls.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete men’s soccer ratings calendar, click here.
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Central Methodist (Mo.) ||22-2-2||498|
|3||3||William Carey (Miss.)||20-1-1||464|
|5||5||Rio Grande (Ohio)||20-1-0||439|
|7||7||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||20-3-0||403|
|8||8||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||18-5-1||375|
|10||10||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||17-5-1||345|
|17||18||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||15-3-1||249|
|19||20||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||15-5-0||180|
|23||NR||Science & Arts (Okla.)||14-3-3||136|
Dropped From Top 25: Mid-America Christian (Okla.) and Marymount California
Others Receiving Votes: Benedictine (Kan.) 76, Mid-America Christian (Okla.) 74, UC Merced (Calif.) 63, Mobile (Ala.) 50, LSU Alexandria 28, The Master’s (Calif.) 19, Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 17, William Penn (Iowa) 16, Marymount (Calif.) 14, WVU Tech 10, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 9, Thomas (Ga.) 9, Westmont (Calif.) 7, Huntington (Ind.) 6, University of Northwestern Ohio 5, Cumberland (Tenn.) 5