CHAMPS / Life Skills
CHallenging Athletes' Minds for Personal Success
Balancing academic success, athletic competition, and personal growth along with student life can be very challenging for the student-athlete. The CHAMPS/Life Skills Program represents the comprehensive commitment by the Miami Athletic Department to foster the total growth and development of our student-athletes.
A Commitment to Academic Excellence ensures that each student- athlete will have the opportunity to excel in his/her chosen field of study and that athletic programs will provide services to support and enhance the academic success of the student-athlete.
A Commitment to Athletic Excellence ensures that each student- athlete will be provided facilities, coaching staff, and support services that will enable them to excel in a broad program of sports sponsored by Miami. The fundamental principles of this program will be based on a commitment to sportsmanship, equity, fair play, and integrity.
A Commitment to Personal Development ensures that each student-athlete participating in CHAMPS will be provided with opportunities to focus on personal growth issues such as clarifying values, setting goals, and learning fiscal responsibility. Each component will be focused toward developing a healthy lifestyle.
A Commitment to Career Development places a priority on preparing for life after intercollegiate sports. The program acquaints student-athletes with the job search process, provides networking opportunities, and ultimately assists with job placement. As the CHAMPS program works towards the development of the total person, the ultimate goal is to develop individuals who will have rewarding careers and productive lives.
A Commitment to Community Service is our challenge to our student-athletes to give back to the Oxford community and to individuals who are in need through a clearly defined program of service. Our student-athletes will be given opportunities to develop the foundation for a lifelong commitment to volunteerism.
The Academic Commitment
- Study Skills
- Goal Setting and Time Management
- Tutoring and Structured Study Sessions
- Orientation and Assessment
- Academic Counseling and Advising
- Registration in a Meaningful Curriculum
- Scholarship Applications
- Awards, Honors and Recognition
- Job Search Process
- Freshman - Senior Years - Developmental Issues
- Alumni Career Network
- Coaching and Evaluations
- Departmental Operations
- Support Programs
- Exit Interviews
- Leadership In and Out of the Arena
- Disordered Eating Prevention Education
- Establishing Relationships and Developing Sexual Responsibility
- Developing Self-Esteem
- Stress Management
- Alcohol Choices and Addictive Behavior
- Dealing with Depression and Grief
- Interpersonal Communications
- Media Relations
- Personal and Social Development
- Manners and Etiquette
- Dealing with Authority
- Understanding and Celebrating Diversity
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Violence Prevention
- Peer Education and Counseling
- Student-Athlete Assistance Program
- Working in Your Community
- Mission, Values and Purpose
- Needs Assessment
- Content Objectives Evaluation
- Student-Athlete Evaluation
- Counseling Student-Athletes
- Strategic Planning
- Athlete's Guide to Career Resources