BOONE, N.C. – Appalachian State University women's basketball will close out the regular season with a 7 p.m. contest against Southern Conference rival Chattanooga on Monday at McKenzie Arena.
The Mountaineers (23-4, 17-2 SoCon) picked up a win over Samford on Saturday and can clinch their second-straight conference title and the No. 1 seed in the SoCon Tournament with a victory.
The Lady Mocs (20-8, 15-4) downed conference-leading Davidson on Saturday and is battling for position heading into the league tournament.
Monday's contest can be seen live on ESPN3.
• The Mountaineers are 24-47 all-time against the Lady Mocs, but have won three-straight in the series including a 62-51 victory in Boone on Jan. 21.
• Prior to last season, the Apps had dropped 26 in a row to Chattanooga.
• Appalachian State is 8-20 when facing the Lady Mocs in Chattanooga and has not won back-to-back road games against Chattanooga since 1996-97.
• In the last meeting that took place between the teams in Chattanooga, the Mountaineers picked up a thrilling, 57-56 win when Kelsey Sharkey hit the game-winning layup with 11 seconds left.
• In the last meeting between the two teams, Appalachian overcame a 10-point, first-half deficit to pick up a clutch conference victory.
• Maryah Sydnor led all players with 16 points in the contest while Anna Freeman added 13. The Mountaineers shot an impressive 48.0 percent (12-for-25) in the second half to erase the early deficit.
• Sharkey and Canesha Edwards each added six points off the bench as Appalachian State's reserves chipped in with 16 points.
• The Mountaineers scored 26 points in the paint and allowed just one Chattanooga player to score more than 10 points.
• The Apps held the Lady Mocs to just 34.8 percent (8-for-23) from the floor in the second half.
Scouting the Lady Mocs
Chattanooga • 20-8, 15-4 SoCon
• Chattanooga enters Monday's contest after picking up a 55-48 win over Davidson on Saturday in a game that helped ASU move into position to grab the Southern Conference title outright.
• The Lady Mocs rank fourth in the SoCon in scoring (62.0 ppg) and third in scoring defense (56.5 ppg) while leading the league in free-throw percentage (.731).
• Chattanooga has won seven of its last 10 games and is a perfect 12-0 at home this season, the best home record on the Southern Conference.
• The Lady Mocs are led on offense by Whitney Hood, who leads the team and ranks sixth in the conference at 12.7 points per game.
• Chattanooga also features one of the top rebounders in the league in Taylor Hall, who averages 8.7 rebounds per game, the second-best mark in the SoCon.
• Hall was key to the Lady Mocs' win over Davidson on Saturday as she scored 16 points and grabbed 10 rebounds off the bench.
• The Mountaineers will travel to Asheville, N.C. for the 2012 Southern Conference Basketball Championships, which take place from March 2-5.
• Appalachian State, which can fall no lower than the No. 2 seed, will no play until Saturday by virtue of a first-round bye.