Trademarks & Licensing

Current Licensees 

The University of Idaho

Founded in 1889, the University of Idaho is located in Moscow, Idaho. The University of Idaho is a doctoral-research extensive land-grant institution, with the principal responsibility for research and the granting of the Ph.D. degree in Idaho.

The University was ranked by U.S. World & News Report in its top category of national universities having the widest range of undergraduate and graduate majors. U of I offers more than 140 undergraduate degree programs, from agribusiness to virtual technology and design.

As the number of students, alumni, and supporters of the University of Idaho has grown, so too has the demand for the University of Idaho merchandise. To meet this demand, the
University manages a trademark licensing program.

Why Have A Licensing Program?

A Trademark Licensing Program gives University of Idaho control over its logos and marks, thus ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University’s merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to help support University programs and services. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers and retailers who work with the University of Idaho.

What Qualifies As A Trademark?

Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s), or combination of these that can be associated with the University qualifies as a trademark. A list of University of Idaho’s trademarks is on the back of this brochure.

What Products Can Be Licensed?

Students, alumni, and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University’s Licensing Director. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Licensing Director.
This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste, and ensures the non-approval of potentially hazardous items.

Who Needs A License?

Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos, and symbols of The University of Idaho must obtain a license.

What If You Do Not Get A License?

All products must be approved by The University of Idaho Trademark Licensing office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University’s Trademark Licensing Office would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the university’s marks. It also could result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

Can You Sell A Product To The Bookstore?

The Bookstore works with a group of vendors to bring new products to market each year. For more information on the Bookstore’s wholesale buying practices, contact the University Bookstore at (208) 885-6469
Can An Alumni Or Student Group Sell Products Using the University’s Marks As A Fundraiser?

Before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the U of I Trademark Licensing Office. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

What About Using the University’s Name Or Logo On A Web Site?

Every use of University of Idaho’s trademarks requires permission from the Trademark Licensing Office. The World Wide Web has made it easy for alumni, fans, and supporters to build Web pages with the University’s name and logos, and The University of Idaho appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control its name and marks; therefore, U of I must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact The University of Idaho’s Trademark Licensing Office.

Who Is Responsible For The Program?

Sue Chen

Director of Trademark and Licensing

University of Idaho

Phone: (208) 885-4007


How Can You Obtain A License Application?

Anyone who wishes to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a license application. This application informs U of I of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc. applications can be obtained by visiting the “Licensing information section” of, and the answers to any questions you may have can also be found at this site.

What is the Collegiate Licensing Company?

The Collegiate Licensing Company is the licensing representative for The University of Idaho. As U of I’s representative, CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks, and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.

Who Is Licensed With the University?

Either University of Idaho’s Trademark Licensing office or CLC can provide a list of current licensees for the University’s merchandise. It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both U of I and CLC can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the correct company.

The “Officially Licensed Collegiate Products” hologram label signifies merchandise has passed the standards of quality set forth by UI and that a portion of the purchase is returned to The University of Idaho.

What Are the University’s Trademarks?

The University’s trademarks are any of the logos, marks, symbols, nicknames, letter(s), or word(s) displayed on this page. Any design that could cause public confusion due to similarity to the trademarks appearing on this page is an infringement on the University’s trademark rights.


The University of Idaho ™

Idaho ™

UI ™


Idaho Vandals™


Idaho Gold Pantone PMS 874

Idaho Silver Pantone PMS 877

Idaho Black Pantone PMS Process Black

Idaho White Pantone PMS Process White

The University of Idaho