Games 46 and 47
Canisius (17-28, 9-5 MAAC) vs. Rider (20-29-1, 7-5 MAAC)
Date: Sunday, May 6, 2012
Time: Game One starts at 11 a.m.
Place: Demske Sports Complex - Buffalo, N.Y.
- The Canisius College softball team closes out the 2012 regular season Sunday morning when the team plays host to Rider at the Demske Sports Complex.
- The Golden Griffins have won seven of their last nine games, dating back to April 17, after the Blue and Gold swept long-time rival Niagara on May 2, in Lewiston, N.Y.
- Canisius starts this final home series of the season with a 4-5 overall home record, but the team is 3-3 in MAAC games played at home this season after splitting a twinbill against Iona April 15.
- After the two games on Sunday, Canisius will take the time to honor five seniors (Lauryn Chris, Lauren Falzone, Lizzy Gatto, Katie Lancellotti and Caroline Main) who are playing in their final career home games.
GRIFF NEWS AND NOTES
- Canisius defeated Niagara 4-3 in 10 innings on May 2, the team's third 10-inning contest of the season. This is the first time in school history the Blue and Gold has played three 10-inning games in the same year, and Canisius is 3-0 in those contests.
- Not only has the team won seven of its last nine, but the Griffs are also on a three-game winning streak, with all three wins coming by one run.
- Dating back to the 2006 season, Canisius is 46-10 at home in MAAC regular-season games.
- The two wins at Niagara gave the Griffs their first MAAC sweep of their long-time rivals since 2008. Canisius has more wins (86) over Niagara than any other program.
- Canisius senior Lauren Falzone enters her final home weekend on a seven-game hitting streak, and her .322 batting average is tops on the team.
- Falzone also leads the squad with 35 runs scored this season, which ranks third in the MAAC. Defensively, she threw out the potential game-winning run in the seventh inning of the first game at Niagara which allowed her to tie freshman Michelle DelPrince for the team's lead in assists by an outfielder this season with three.
- Senior Lizzy Gatto earned Capital One Academic All-District First Team honors on Thursday, making her one of three MAAC players to earn the honor for the 2012 season. Her name is now moved to the national ballot for Academic All-American status.
- Gatto ranks second on the team with her .305 batting average and third in the conference with her 17 stolen bases. She starts her final weekend of regular-season action ranked second all-time in career steals with 62.
- Senior Katie Lancellotti is one of five players in the league with three triples this season, and she is currently 12th nationally with her four sacrifice flies on the year.
- Sophomore Valorie Nappo had two big RBIs on May 2 in the team's game-one win over Niagara. She pushed the game into extra frames with an RBI-single in the seventh and then drove home the winning run in the 10th frame. She leads the team with 17 hits this season with runner in scoring position.
- Junior Katie Medina has reached base safely in six straight games.
- Senior pitcher Caroline Main earned a win and a save May 2 at Niagara as she appeared in both games as a reliever. Main is 2-1 with a save and a 1.91 ERA to go with 18 strikeouts in her last five appearances.
- Sophomore Jen Consaul leads the Griffs with 129.1 innings of work this year where she has compiled eight wins and 10 complete games.
- The Broncs will get their weekend start at Niagara on Saturday afternoon.
- Rider travels to Western New York with a 20-29-1 overall record and a 7-5 mark in MAAC games.
- Freshman Allysen Breeden leads the team with her .304 batting average, her eight doubles and her 27 runs batted in.
- As a team, Rider has hit nine homers, with Breeden accounting for three of those.
- Senior Rachael Montreale is 17-12 with a 2.04 ERA and 195 strikeouts in 202 innings of work. She has thrown close to 132 more innings than the next closest pitcher on the Broncs' staff.
CANISIUS vs. RIDER
- Canisius leads the all-time series against Rider by a 21-13 count. This series dates back to May 11, 1991 when the Broncs scored a 4-3 win.
- Canisius closed out the 2011 regular season at Rider, with each team winning a game on the Broncs' campus. The Griffs ended last year with a 13-3 win in six innings.
Canisius has won five-straight home games over Rider, dating back to the 2006 season, and the Griffs have outscored the Broncs 37-5 in those five contests.