ODU Defeats No. 23 Penn, 4-3 (Clinched Victory at 4-1)
By ODU Athletics
NORFOLK, Va. - The Old Dominion men’s tennis team (5-3) took down No. 23 nationally ranked Penn (9-2) by a 4-1 score on Saturday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center. The Monarchs clinched the victory with a 4-1 score.
“What an amazing atmosphere,” said ODU head coach Dominik Mueller. “ODU student-athletes packed the house for our Championship Effort match and pushed us all the way to the finish line. I couldn’t be more proud of our guys and our athletic department the way we competed today. We knew we could beat a Top 25 team and doing it on our home courts makes it even sweeter. But, we have another tough match tomorrow. So we have a short turnaround and have to make sure to come out with the same intensity.”
Old Dominion is now 5-0 when playing on its home courts.
NEXT: MONARCHS REMAIN AT HOME TOMORROW MORNING!
On Sunday, Feb. 24 at 10:00 a.m., ODU will welcome Yale (3-3) to the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center. Admission for all is free.
Mueller on Yale:
“Yale lost a couple close matches to very good teams, so we know about their quality. There are no easy matches in the Ivy League, so they will be match tested and hungry to bounce back.”
Tennis Match Results
UPenn vs Old Dominion
Feb 23, 2019 in Norfolk, Va.
(Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center)
Old Dominion 4, #23 UPenn 3
1. No. 54 Kyle Mautner (PENN) def. Aziz Kijametovic (ODU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Francois Musitelli (ODU) def. Edoardo Graziani (PENN) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
3. Jannik Giesse (ODU) def. Kevin Zhu (PENN) 7-5, 7-6
4. Dmitry Shatalin (PENN) def. Nicola Vidal (ODU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Noah Makarome (PENN) def. Oliver Tobisch (ODU) 5-7, 7-5, 1-0
6. Luca Maldoner (ODU) def. Mark Cancilla (PENN) 6-1, 6-3
1. No. 24 Aziz Kijametovic/Francois Musitelli (ODU) def. Kyle Mautner/Dmitry Shatalin (PENN) 7-6
2. Nicola Vidal/Luca Maldoner (ODU) def. Kevin Zhu/Edoardo Graziani (PENN) 6-1
3. Oliver Tobisch/Jannik Giesse (ODU) def. Jason Hildebrandt/Noah Makarome (PENN) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,3,1,2,4,5)