Gymnastics Celebrates 2016 Season at End of Year Banquet
KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Western Michigan gymnastics team celebrated its record-breaking 2016 season at its end-of-year banquet this weekend. The Broncos announced its team award winners as well as their notable accomplishments.
MVP Vault - Anna Corbett
Competed vault in all 12 regular season meets, contributing a total of 117.85 points.
100% consistency this season
Won eight vault titles
Tied the 2nd highest individual score of all time with a 9.90 v. EMU 2/29/16 and the 3rd highest score of all-time 9.875 v. CMU 2/21/16
MVP Uneven Bars - Jessie Peszek
Competed bars in all 12 regular season meets, contributing a total of 117.20 points.
Won four individual titles on bars
Tied the second highest bar score of all time 9.875 v. CMU 2/21/16
Set the second highest bars RQS of all time, 9.835
Qualified to NCAA regionals as the #2 seed on bars
MVP Balance Beam - Rachael Underwood
Competed beam in all 12 regular season meets, contributing a total of 116.757 points.
Won first beam title of her career on Jan. 17th v. Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan with a 9.875 \
Tied the 6th highest beam RQS of all-time 9.825
Qualified to NCAA regionals as the No. 1 seed on beam
MVP Floor Exercise - Rachael Underwood –
Competed floor in all 12 regular season meets, contributing a total of 117.425 points.
Won five floor titles
Tied the 3rd highest floor score of all-time with a 9.90 v. UIC 3/8/16
Set the 2nd highest floor RQS of all-time 9.86 and qualified to NCAA regionals as the No. 2 seed on floor
WMU Freshman of the Year - Rachael Underwood
Competed 3 or more events in each of our 12 regular season meets.
Contributed the most total points on both beam and floor exercise, the 3rd most on vault. (116.575)
Qualified to NCAA regionals on beam and floor.
WMU Gymnast of the Year - Anna Corbett
Competed AA in all 12 regular season meets.
Won five AA titles.
Set the second highest AA score of all-time 39.20 v. Missouri 3/14/16.
Set highest all-around RQS scores of all-time 39.095 (2016).
Qualified to NCAA regionals in AA as #1 seed in the central region.
Named MAC Female Scholar-Athlete of the Week twice, week of Jan. 20 and Feb. 10.
2016 Season Highlights
- Set 13 all-time team records.
- Set 18 all-time individual records.
- 7 NCAA individual qualifiers, most in program history - 7 (2016), 4 (2015), 2 (2014)
- 7 MAC All-Academic selections, most in program history - 7 (2016), 6 (2015), 4 (2014)
- 3 MAC Female Scholar-Athlete of the Week selections
- 3 MAC Distinguished Scholar-Athletes Notables
- Started the year of with the highest season opening score of all-time 194.10.
- In just the last two seasons, this team has set the top five team scores of all-time. Three of which we accomplished in 2016. (2. 195.95 v UIC 3/8/16, 4.195.575 v. UW 3/5/16 & 5.195.525 v. Missouri 3/11/16).
- 195.575 at the University of Washington is the highest away score of all time.
- Set the 5th highest vault team score with a 48.975 twice this season. (v. UW 3/5/16 and v. UIC 3/8/16)
- Tied the 6th highest bars team score with a 48.95 twice this season. (v. UW 3/5/16 and v. UIC 3/8/16)
- Set all-time highest three beam team scores in program history besting the 2004 team (records stood for 12 years), 1. 49.175 at CMU 2/21/16, 2. 49.100 v. EMU & BGSU, 1/31/16, 3. 49.075 at MAC Championships 2016
- Set all-time highest beam team score at a MAC Championships, 49.075 3/19/16
- Set all-time highest team RQS score, 195.095 (2016) besting our 195.060 in 2015